Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
Anyone download the newly released 2017 version? I'm still using QM2007.

"Quicken 2017 for Mac continues to add the top user-requested features. Here are the latest improvements:

• Compare your income and spending year over year with custom reports
  • Customize your budgeting goals month-by-month (12-month budget)
  • Pay your bills in Quicken with Quicken Bill Pay (fees apply)
  • Get more power on-the-go with the improved mobile app
  • Enjoy a new look that’s easier to use and navigate"
[doublepost=1476371202][/doublepost]It seems like it's more robust for Investments.

"
What kind of investment tracking is available in Quicken 2017 for Mac?
Quicken 2017 for Mac enables you to track your portfolio, manage investments, and plan for taxes:

• Shows you realized and unrealized gains
  • Continuously update quotes to keep your portfolio value current
  • Tracks cost basis and creates Schedule D tax reports for capital gains
  • Makes tax time easier by tracking deductions and creating tax reports
  • Track investment accounts using the Quicken mobile app
At this time, Quicken 2017 for Mac does not have certain investment reports/views, such as Performance (IRR), or Allocation by Investment."

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
Amazon is usually $20 off (not yet for the new version). I may get it and compare to my 2007 version. If I don't like it I can get a refund within 60 days.

whbunn

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
I would like to hear how 2017 performs. Especially syncing between desktop and iPad app. 2016 required manual syncing, what a mess. Also, Quicken site discussion seems to indicate Q 2017 has issues if you use Dropbox to sync between desktop and laptop, ie. Quicken recommends you do not use DB.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm interested in seeing how their budgeting side of the app is. Currently use Cael spreadsheet to track my income and expenses. They don't have much documentation or video guides to pursuade me to buy it just yet

Reactions: arefbe

allanq

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Pay your bills in Quicken with Quicken Bill Pay (fees apply)

That's not entirely accurate. Windows is still required if you're using Quicken Bill Pay.

web page footnote said:
Paying bills with Quicken is available only if you have Quicken Bill Pay (Windows) or if your bank offers Bill Pay with Quicken (Windows and Mac).

You can use the Bill Pay integration with your bank in Quicken.

Edit: a word

qs933

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
Amazon is usually $20 off (not yet for the new version). I may get it and compare to my 2007 version. If I don't like it I can get a refund within 60 days.

They usually bundle it with TurboTax at a discount -- that's when I bought the 2016 version last year.

The changes they mentioned seemed pretty minor (similar to last year), but they do periodic feature releases throughout the year. The most recent (and I'm assuming, last) for the 2016 version brought a much better (in my opinion) reconciliation interface.

Reactions: arefbe

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Disappointed in this product. Glad they have a 60 day money back return policy. Lack of mortgage automation, missing banks, and some other stuff; This product was not ready for prime time, thats for sure.

Kg4zlb

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Cape Coral, FL
I'm still on Quicken for Mac 2015 as I haven't seen any compelling reason to upgrade - despite Quickens best assurances, the Mac product sucks really, really bad but there is no decent alternative out there. I'm not going the route of running Windows on my Mac to be able to use the Windoze version of Quicken so I'll wait and see what the user reports are like before jumping up! And (as said already), wait for the price to come down.

Reactions: philosoraptor1

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I've only been using Quicken 2017 for a month and so far I'm pretty happy with it. But I've been a victim of iBank for the last 5 years, and that is a real POS.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
Hard to believe Quicken 2017 will be any good--I've tried Quicken for Mac year after year in the past and was always disappointed. It never seemed remotely like the Windows version.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Hard to believe Quicken 2017 will be any good--I've tried Quicken for Mac year after year in the past and was always disappointed. It never seemed remotely like the Windows version.
The new people who bought out the old Quicken are trying though. Seems to get better and better each update and my hope is that it will soon meet the same features and the Windows version. It depends on your needs. For me, it's almost there. Here's hoping.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I would like to hear how 2017 performs. Especially syncing between desktop and iPad app. 2016 required manual syncing, what a mess. Also, Quicken site discussion seems to indicate Q 2017 has issues if you use Dropbox to sync between desktop and laptop, ie. Quicken recommends you do not use DB.

The only issue I've seen with using Dropbox is never have Quicken running on two computers at once. Dropbox will create an additional "conflicted data" file. All you transactions made on the two systems will be present in the two data files but merging them is a manual and painful process! I know that keeping the data on a share (using a server computer) doesn't work at all, so DB + some care is the way to go. FYI, I've never found a personal finance program that can handle this correctly.

I paid for 2017 even though 2016 works perfectly because I want to support the new Quicken. They are really working hard on improving the product and I can see the day when it equals the Windows version (not there yet, though).

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
After many years of a piss poor product, Quicken 2017 is pretty darn good. I'm not comparing it to the Winblows product, because I own a Mac and refuse to pollute my Mac by running Windows. So with that said, I don't see a better alternative at this point.

I don't use Quicken Bill Pay, I pay bills online thru my credit union for no charge. I have no problems tracking my 401k and some other IRAs I have. Worth the $56 I paid for it thru Amazon.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I've only been using Quicken 2017 for a month and so far I'm pretty happy with it. But I've been a victim of iBank for the last 5 years, and that is a real POS.
I'm quite happy with Bankitivity. What problems did you have?

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I'm quite happy with Bankitivity. What problems did you have?

The check register is hokey, and can't change defaults. Enter dates is cumbersome and the register loses track. Reporting sucks..... but not as much as reconciling. A piss poor app. And ZERO support.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
The check register is hokey, and can't change defaults. Enter dates is cumbersome and the register loses track. Reporting sucks..... but not as much as reconciling. A piss poor app. And ZERO support.
I see. I haven't had those issues with Banktivity, and I found tech support helpful the few times I've needed it.

Reactions: artfossil

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I see. I haven't had those issues with Banktivity, and I found tech support helpful the few times I've needed it.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from iBank 4. Things may have changed, but I refuse to give IGG anymore of my money.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just want to know if the "new" Quicken developers are going to hold me for full purchase price ransom every 3 years to be able to use the product. That was the situation with the previous developers. Anyone have any insight on that?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I just want to know if the "new" Quicken developers are going to hold me for full purchase price ransom every 3 years to be able to use the product. That was the situation with the previous developers. Anyone have any insight on that?

The answer is "yes". Just consider it as subscription software at about $18/year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.