Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Hi,

I have a 733mHz Quicksilver G4 that has a built-in 40GB HD. I want to add another (or possibly many more) hard drives so I can use this computer as a file server and a backup server (if there is such a thing). I read another post saying the biggest HD my computer can take is 128GB, due to the fact it has ATA/66. I am unsure as to whether all Quicksilver G4s have ATA/66, but I can't seem to find out in Apple System Profiler (for some reason). Anyways, assuming I can't install a hard drive bigger than 128GB inside the machine, presumably I can use a PCI card to add more drives? If I wanted to add an ATA/100 drive, could I use an ATA/133 card or would they not be compatible? And will any old ATA/133 card work, or do I have to get a Mac-compatible one?

Many thanks!

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
have u thought of maybe goin to a firewire lacie hard drive , they can hold up to over 200 gig

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
henryaj said:
Hi,

I have a 733mHz Quicksilver G4 that has a built-in 40GB HD. I want to add another (or possibly many more) hard drives so I can use this computer as a file server and a backup server (if there is such a thing). I read another post saying the biggest HD my computer can take is 128GB, due to the fact it has ATA/66. I am unsure as to whether all Quicksilver G4s have ATA/66, but I can't seem to find out in Apple System Profiler (for some reason). Anyways, assuming I can't install a hard drive bigger than 128GB inside the machine, presumably I can use a PCI card to add more drives? If I wanted to add an ATA/100 drive, could I use an ATA/133 card or would they not be compatible? And will any old ATA/133 card work, or do I have to get a Mac-compatible one?

Many thanks!

You need to use a Mac compatible ATA/133 or 100 PCI controller card.

Lethal

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
henryaj said:
Hi,

Many thanks!

best best is to buy a MAC ATA PCI card, sonnet sells them, with one you can add as much as 400GB with the new IBM drive. I'd recommend going Serial ATA at this point and forget ATA100/133. So your hard drives will work in new machines including G5s. They sell mac serial ata cards for as low as $60 and you can add 2 more internal drives, so two of those IBM drives and your 40GB and you've got a 840GB of space. Pretty nice for a 3 year old machine.

Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.