Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Howdy,

I decided to give Quicksilver another try. I was using it a while back and it really seemed to suck up the memory...now, however, I must say that it seems to be quite speedy. I like.

Now to the meat of my post. When I was using it before, it did not have (to my knowledge) the plugin capability that it does now. I have two questions:

1) does anyone know where I can find plugins other than the Blacktree official site?

2) does anyone else use the "Flashlight" plugin (see screenshot)? If so, is there some sort of way to make it look more like spotlight--i.e. the cool SPOTLIGHT action (as opposed to just the nice, unobtrusive blue interface seen here)? I'm guessing not--but would be nice.

Once Tiger is out in full-force...I assume Spotlight will supplant Quicksilver. Or are there QuickSilver features that SpotLight doesn't currently have?

Thanks as always

Attachments

• QS Flashlight.jpg
    QS Flashlight.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 163

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
I'll check out the forum...thanks!

What is QuickSilver? Essentially it's a search tool, similar in functionality to the upcoming "Spotlight" feature of OS 10.4.

When I hit cmd-SPACE the little search bar pops up (as in the screenshot above) and then I begin typing. As I type, Quicksilver immediately begins returning results from a catalog it has made (a catalog of the files you have told it to include). SO, I can hit cmd-SPACE m-a -- and "Mail" pops up. Press ENTER and it launches Mail.

EXTREMELY handy--Finder is rarely the quickest way to find anything...especially if you are ridiculously anal (like me) and have folders within folders within folders...ad nauseam

I suggest you download it and give it a go...I've ONLY heard positive things.

GeorgeTheMonkey

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Bloody brilliant!

Yes, QuickSilver is a bloody brilliant app for Mac OS X. I concur, most heartily -- though quite possibly just because I like that word, concur. Nevertheless, I can't express my joy at having QuickSilver installed on my computer. :cool:

I have mine set on Bevel mode, though -- to blend in with Quartz and it's spiffy Command-Tab visual theme. I can't admit to really "getting into" QuickSilver that much though -- I haven't tinkered with it at all, and only just noticed they have third party add-ons for it as well. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.