Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/

I know I did this update once, but if I reformat the HD and install Tiger, will I need to do this again? Using 8x DVD-R is a must, so I'll need this.

The computer is a QuickSilver. If anyone is familiar with this update, that would be great. Also, will I need to download it or will software update take care of it? Maybe it is one of those one time firmware flashes...I have no clue.

Also, will it work with Tiger?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I'm called Apple and the don't seem to know anything about this. I thought it was a popular update because you needed it to burn 8x DVD's. I guess it can't hurt trying it?

:confused: :confused:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Thank you very much! I guess it stores it in the SuperDrive somehow?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I cannot believe the limitation was in the OS, so I have to assume it was a flash for the drive, which means it doesn't matter what OS you're running, the flash will always exist on the drive's ROM.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah I was thinking that too, just wasn't sure. It's still weird that Apple is clueless about this. I called multiple times, as usual.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Just to say it again - it IS in the rom. So anything you do (an ibook screen hack) or anything like that will stay there for a long time. I still don't know why they crippled the machines...

kyle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.