Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Except Quicksilver isn't a launcher. You're saying Launchy is like Quicksilver, but it isn't. It's a launcher. Quicksilver is much much more.

Hence, someone complained that Launchy doesn't have nearly the feature-set of Quicksilver, and they're right. QS does a lot more than just launch apps.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Except Quicksilver isn't a launcher. You're saying Launchy is like Quicksilver, but it isn't. It's a launcher. Quicksilver is much much more.

Hence, someone complained that Launchy doesn't have nearly the feature-set of Quicksilver, and they're right. QS does a lot more than just launch apps.

yeah, u are right, I didn't use QS in any other way than a launcher, and i found launchy by searching google for "windows launcher", maybe I ignored QS's other function by doing this, so plz list what QS can do (major functions in ur opinion)

Also, Im not here to turn this post into another windows vs. oxs saga, which, IMHO, already has too many.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Wouldn't Want To Put A Link To Quicksilver.Blacktree.com Now Wouldn't We

quicksilver is pretty much the best program for the mac! couldn't live without it.
Thanks to everyone on page one who never put a link to the Quicksilver.Blacktree Website. Very thoughtful guys. :rolleyes: esp backache & SpookTheHamster

I can't believe 27 posts without a link to one of the two subjects of the thread. Amazing! :eek:

Wow the 3D Cube first time opening is quite a thrill. :)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
yeah, u are right, I didn't use QS in any other way than a launcher, and i found launchy by searching google for "windows launcher", maybe I ignored QS's other function by doing this, so plz list what QS can do (major functions in ur opinion)

Also, Im not here to turn this post into another windows vs. oxs saga, which, IMHO, already has too many.

lol dude, I could write a book on the number of things Quicksilver can do. There isnt 2 or 4 "OMG WOW" features, but dozens (if not hundreds) of 'thats really cool' features.

Therein lies its problem though... most people cant explain what it is in a sentence, and it took 4 or 5 months for me to fully 'get it'... that most people just dont use it. I would venture to say there are at least 5 things that every single Mac user could use in Quicksilver to enhance their productivity. Problem is, each user would have 5 different things that they would find useful.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
lol dude, I could write a book on the number of things Quicksilver can do. There isnt 2 or 4 "OMG WOW" features, but dozens (if not hundreds) of 'thats really cool' features.

Therein lies its problem though... most people cant explain what it is in a sentence, and it took 4 or 5 months for me to fully 'get it'... that most people just dont use it. I would venture to say there are at least 5 things that every single Mac user could use in Quicksilver to enhance their productivity. Problem is, each user would have 5 different things that they would find useful.

u are probably right, i, for one, is one of those ppl, who can't imaging to spend months on a small gadget, lol. really, I only use it as a launcher. However, I do believe, whatever useful function u can get from a 3rd part app for OSX, there are great chance u can find one or more counterparts under windows.

I can detail anything of course, since so far the discussion really looks vague.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

It took me a number of distinct installs of Quicksilver before it became indispensable to me. Actually, it took me removing all my programs from my dock and a few screencasts of specific features, but the time invested was well worth it! Quicksilver FTW, indeed :)

backache

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
it seems like everyone here loves QS but have never used Launchbar. But maybe my fear of leaving LB (or being w/o it - i hate getting on mac's that don't have it) is equaled by that of QS users.. It seems to me they both have pretty much the exact same functions, but I can't say for sure, like a previous poster said, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of LB's features. I was hoping for someone who has used both of them for quite some time (i've used LB for a little over 6 months and QS for 3 weeks) to give a little input to which they preferred... Perhaps the seemingly QS bias is because it's a better program, or it's free.. Or maybe it's a Coke vs. Pepsi kinda thing.. i dunno

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
It seems to me they both have pretty much the exact same functions, but I can't say for sure, like a previous poster said, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of LB's features.

they do not have the same functions. launchbar is an application/document launcher.

quicksilver does this but also allows for an extensible framework to let you do practically anything you do on your mac using the core OS programs, only do it inside quicksilver using only small keystrokes.

create a new email, add a doc to it and email it? QS can do that.
create a new text file, add some text to it, print it out, then make it into a pdf and save it? QS can do that.
reorganize a folder of files? QS can do that.
look up a definition? QS can do that.

as i said before, QS is an interface framework for your mac. it is NOT an application launcher, but i can do that as well.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You need to install the plugins to get the most out of Quicksilver - for instance the Google search plugin. Also try the Flashlight interface which mimics the Spotlight interface but in the top left corner. There's also another one where QS works from within the menubar - you can't get much more low key than that.

Virtually anything you can do on your mac you can do through Quicksilver, including accessing menu bar options for applications, resizing pictures, mass selection and manipulation of files etc. You can browse your iTunes library, control iTunes and rate songs etc without opening an itunes window. You can look up words in the dictionary or Wikipedia, send emails, upload pictures to Flickr or even run Spotlight searches letting you search within the text of documents.

By default you can launch apps with a single keypress (e.g. holding down 'S' will load Safari for instance) or if that's not enough you can set up hot keys or hot corners for complex tasks (e.g. drag file to bottom left corner to attach to and send an email).

Quicksilver's functions aren't immediately apparent. It isn't just a launcher, more a new interface for your computer. To be honest QS is so good it's made me think that the traditional 20 year old mouse and icons interface seems incredibly slow and outdated.

Sorry, I'm a new convert - hence my evangelistic zeal.

Wow, I thought I was cool with my hotkeys and such. I really don't know how to do 1/10th of what QS can do. :eek:

backache

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
yes, LB can do all those things.. Launchbar isn't only an app/doc launcher, the name "Launchbar" is a little misleading. One of my favorite things about LB is the ability do search query ANY site possible (google, [website name removed], macrumors forums, etc) w/o opening Safari first. I'm not trying to say Launchbar is better or worse than QS, but i think it can do a lot more than people think.. here's a small list of what it does:

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/features.html

they do not have the same functions. launchbar is an application/document launcher.

quicksilver does this but also allows for an extensible framework to let you do practically anything you do on your mac using the core OS programs, only do it inside quicksilver using only small keystrokes.

create a new email, add a doc to it and email it? QS can do that.
create a new text file, add some text to it, print it out, then make it into a pdf and save it? QS can do that.
reorganize a folder of files? QS can do that.
look up a definition? QS can do that.

as i said before, QS is an interface framework for your mac. it is NOT an application launcher, but i can do that as well.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I've had quicksilver since day 1, and whilst I find it indispensible, I found out last week you can change how it looks! Now it has that smokey grey window, and if I didn't know better I'd swear blind it's built into the operating system.

Why on earth would I pay money when something this good is free? It can do multiple things at once via just hitting ',' between each thing you want it to do instead of enter, it launches your programs and will bring up any file you want and let you run variable tasks.
Oh and it has triggers, I've mapped keys to control my iTunes with it.

All this in one small free application. Who needs more. :)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Ive used both pretty extensively and LB definitely doesnt come close to 1/10th of what you can do with QS.

For instance, I can invoke QS, take a screenshot, which produces a PNG file that is automatically loaded into QS, and then upload to Flickr - all in one go.

The per website web search thing is in QS and yes its a great feature. But also Backpack items, Magnolia and Delicious bookmarks etc... all searchable. I also love the ability to just highlight and copy any phone number off the net, pull it into QS, and call with Skype or your bluetooth phone. Saves having to dial the number into the phone. Or better yet, give that action a trigger - say F7. Highlight any number on the net, press F7, and it calls that number from my cell phone via bluetooth. Incredible.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I'm sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread, but I can't imagine there is a SINGLE person who chose Launchbar over Quicksilver. Quicksilver is in it's own league.

macsterdam

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
I'm a longtime Launchbar user who also has also used Quicksilver extensively.

It can't be denied that QS is way more versatile than LB, thanks mainly due to its plugin architecture. Still, there are three main reasons why I still use LB.

1) Speed. LB is currently still much faster than QS. Not that QS is slow, it's just that LB is snappier. This is especially noticeable when switching from QS to LB.

2) LB is smarter. Something I use all the time but for which I can't seem to find a QS alternative is the automatic creation of smart folders. LB automatically creates smart folders for every document time it finds. This is so incredibly useful!

3) Trigger spotlight searches. Again, I do this all the time, and although QS can do this too, it is way more cumbersome than LB.

With regards to versatility, don't forget LB integrates extremely well with applescript, so it's quite easy to do the same stuff some of QS plugins do. In addition to that, LB has a lot of functionality built-in for which you need to download at least 5+ plugins to get QS to do the same.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
macsterdam it isnt like installing Quicksilver plugins is difficult. You see the list, and check the box.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
macsterdam it isnt like installing Quicksilver plugins is difficult. You see the list, and check the box.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't complaining about it being "difficult" to install the plugins, more that the functionality is turned off by default whereas it isn't in LaunchBar. And it is admittedly difficult sometimes to know which plugins do what with QS (needing the Shelf plugin to be installed to use the Clipboard plugin, for example).

macsterdam

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
exactly, difficulty is not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to built-in functionality.

The one thing I miss in LB is the QS Bezel look, other than that, I'm perfectly happy. Things I need to do most often go faster and take fewer steps in LB.

To see what I mean , have a look at these QS Forum threads:

iTunes navigation: LB vs QS

QS Forum: LB vs QS

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
exactly, difficulty is not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to built-in functionality.

The one thing I miss in LB is the QS Bezel look, other than that, I'm perfectly happy. Things I need to do most often go faster and take fewer steps in LB.

To see what I mean , have a look at these QS Forum threads:

iTunes navigation: LB vs QS

QS Forum: LB vs QS

This is a design issue. I have iTunes catalogue set to a different combination (Alt-Spacebar) in Quicksilver, and invoking that makes it work exactly the same way as LB. I understand where Alcor is coming from, because somebody like me with over 20,000 music files would really ruin the main catalogue by flooding it with tracks.

It is a matter of preference though.

But when I talk about functionality and such - I can be playing a track in iTunes in the background when using something else. Lets say Safari. I think the track is dope and want to send it to my friend.

Invoke QS
CI (current itunes selection) <TAB> EM (for email) <TAB> John <ENTER>

Thats gone without going to iTunes, or mail (and of course this can be added to a trigger too). Thats the kind of thing that separates QS. Of course if you dont want that type of functionality, then it isnt as great a proposition.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
i don't see how quicksilver could replace using the finder. please inform me on how i can move files around and such in QS

429620671_878822f6ac.jpg

Or, if its more than one file...

429620694_86f463a8f5.jpg

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
You have to understand that LaunchBar is a launcher with some file manipulation functions and a few nice plugins.

Quicksilver supplies LANGUAGE. It lets you use verbs on objects (in this case, anything on your system, any text you type in, any result from Spotlight, any information from the Web, etc). It changes the desktop metaphor from a visual language to a semantic one.

One is an (admittedly nice) attachment to your system, following the traditional paradigm of application launchers. The other is an entirely new understanding of the interaction between user and machine.

I've used LaunchBar for the entire time OS X has existed--even back in the Public Beta--until QS came out.There is absolutely no comparison.

macsterdam

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
@Project:

That's another point, i have LB scan everything and yet it never chokes, whioch is something I can't say of QS. When QS's catalogue gets too big it get slow and uses ram like there's no tomorrow. But don't get me wrong, I'm not here to either defend LB, or start a fight over which is the better of the two, that's totally irrelevant. As I stated before, I have used QS since the very beginning (and still use it occasionally), but there are a few things it currently can't do and which are importent to me.

With regards to your mail example, works the same in LB, no probs :D

@Bluefusion: I understand QS perfectly well, as said before, I too have used it a long time and very extensively too, just like LB. But until it can do the things I need most (automatic smart folders and easier spotlight searches), I stick with LB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.