Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eeeRIE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
I have a quicktime video file, 1.37 GB that I was planning to split in half into 2 files that would be a little less than 700 megabytes each- a perfect size to use on two CD's. I did it this way:

I duplicated the file. For one copy I selected the first half of the movie and deleted it, then I deleted the second half of the other file. So I have the first and second half of the video, separate.

The only problem is that now BOTH files are 1.37 GB. I assumed they would shrink in size... why did this happen?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
eeeRIE said:
The only problem is that now BOTH files are 1.37 GB. I assumed they would shrink in size... why did this happen?
If you used QuickTime Pro to do it, you should select "Make movie self-contained" in the save dialog box. What did you use to trim the movie?

eeeRIE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Thanks a lot...

The problem was that I never realized that I just clicked "save" instead of "save as". So what happened was that even though the video was trimmed correctly the file size was too big. I went back and saved it self contained, and I ended up with about an 800 mb file and a 600 mb file. After some additional trimming and merging the finished product was a 699 mb and 678 mb, and it couldn't have been more perfect.

HIREZ asked what I used to trim it- I used quicktime pro, which is capable of doing it. I selected the part of the movie I wanted to remove, then went to edit-clear. That's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.