Quicktime and video editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eeeRIE, Feb 3, 2005.

1. eeeRIE macrumors member

Jan 30, 2005
    I have a quicktime video file, 1.37 GB that I was planning to split in half into 2 files that would be a little less than 700 megabytes each- a perfect size to use on two CD's. I did it this way:

I duplicated the file. For one copy I selected the first half of the movie and deleted it, then I deleted the second half of the other file. So I have the first and second half of the video, separate.

The only problem is that now BOTH files are 1.37 GB. I assumed they would shrink in size... why did this happen?
  2. noht* macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    * hidden between worlds
    i guess you'll have to "save as" the cropped movie to make the smaller size come into effect.
  3. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    If you used QuickTime Pro to do it, you should select "Make movie self-contained" in the save dialog box. What did you use to trim the movie?
  4. eeeRIE thread starter macrumors member

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks a lot...

The problem was that I never realized that I just clicked "save" instead of "save as". So what happened was that even though the video was trimmed correctly the file size was too big. I went back and saved it self contained, and I ended up with about an 800 mb file and a 600 mb file. After some additional trimming and merging the finished product was a 699 mb and 678 mb, and it couldn't have been more perfect.

HIREZ asked what I used to trim it- I used quicktime pro, which is capable of doing it. I selected the part of the movie I wanted to remove, then went to edit-clear. That's all.