Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get Quicktime Streaming Server? I wanted to noodle about without it, to see how different it is to the Darwin version. A quick Google seems to suggest it was available to download for free at some point but maybe not anymore?

I just wanted to play with it, so buying OS X Server isn't really justifiable!

Thanks!

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Quicktime Streaming Server only comes to one legally through buying OS X server. As you know, quicktime broadcaster is a free Apple download and the darwin version is as well, as you mentioned, but I don't even know it QSS will work with any other verion of the OS.

3G4N

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
3rd star to the right
jimsowden said:
Quicktime Streaming Server only comes to one legally through buying OS X server. As you know, quicktime broadcaster is a free Apple download and the darwin version is as well, as you mentioned, but I don't even know it QSS will work with any other verion of the OS.

It was a free download for Jaguar, and even thought it said it was
for OSX Server, it worked on OSX Client too. It was 8.5mb, and I can't
find it on Apple's site. It's been greatly improved with 10.3 Server,
thus probably why they aren't posting a free version. You can
probably install the Darwin version on OSX Client.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I believe it's now called "Darwin streaming server" except on OS X server - it is still available as a free download. Matter of fact it's being ported to many Unix-like systems; we're planning to install it on our Red Hat Webserver and use it to stream mpegs.

A Google search will turn up lots of downloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.