Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Farmington CT
What ever happened? I am so glad I decided not to wait. I have the Belkin Grip Vue and a Hard Candy Case for travel.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
still, if it's supposed to ship within a week, why are all the images still just 3D renders? surely they'd have a physical final prototype by now...?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, it's becoming evident that this is not going to be the product it was hyped up to be. The communication appears to have gotten better over the last couple weeks, but the 2nd product video has yet to appear and no real questions are being answered. For a product that is supposed to be available in 5 days (and this is after a delay), you would think we would be able to see a finished product by now.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah, it's becoming evident that this is not going to be the product it was hyped up to be. The communication appears to have gotten better over the last couple weeks, but the 2nd product video has yet to appear and no real questions are being answered. For a product that is supposed to be available in 5 days (and this is after a delay), you would think we would be able to see a finished product by now.

Yeah, I agree. You can view the one and only video of the prototype at

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_...&tspv=1&AdsControl2=AdsControl2&v=dPzB4etR4a8

However, the video does more harm than good in my opinion.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Quirky just sent out an email this afternoon with this info on the Cloak:

"Cloak will be available in four colors: black, blue, green, and pink. The crew is now overseeing the final stages of manufacturing to ensure a top quality product. Keep your eye on the milestones for updates."

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Waiting For Cloak

I don't know why you guys think the video does harm. If the final product comes out anything like the video, I will be very happy. Clearly, everyone has their own sense of what the perfect case would be. For me, it still isn't out there and the Cloak will only be one step. While I prefer leather, I don't like any of the leather portfolios because none have the slim fit of the Apple case or particularly effective horizontal or vertical stands. None have a pouch for a MiFi card and neither will the Cloak. I am using the Waterfield Exo case with the Apple Folio for now and will substitute the Apple case for the Cloak and hope that it fits in the Waterfield Exo case. But, from what I can tell on the video and the pictures, the Cloak will retain a very slim profile and will have a more effective solution for acting as a stand. Mine is pre-ordered.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't know why you guys think the video does harm.
Because it is the last exhibit of the case. If they released a video after that one that showed progress then that video does no harm. But that is the one and only impression. The fact that it is only a few days from the target release date and there is no evidence that the case is any closer than that prototype.

If the final product comes out anything like the video, I will be very happy. But, from what I can tell on the video and the pictures, the Cloak will retain a very slim profile and will have a more effective solution for acting as a stand. Mine is pre-ordered.
If you believe that the Cloak will retain a very slim profile based on that video, then you either didn't see the same video as the rest of us, or you have a different definition of what slim profile is.

If you pre-ordered then you didn't exercise good judgment.... giving credit card information to a company that may not even deliver a product is not wise.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I think this could be really good. I do have faith in quirky, that said, I wont be placing an order until they are shipping them out and have pictures instead of renders on the product page.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think this could be really good. I do have faith in quirky, that said, I wont be placing an order until they are shipping them out and have pictures instead of renders on the product page.
If you really did have faith in Quirky then you would've preordered. ;) It takes no faith to wait until there is a shipping product that has been reviewed. :p

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
If you believe that the Cloak will retain a very slim profile based on that video, then you either didn't see the same video as the rest of us, or you have a different definition of what slim profile is..

I agree , that thing doesn't look thin at all. The pictures make it look much slimmer , and his presentation of the case as a stand in landscape mode was a joke. He continually had to use his fingers to keep it from sliding out. However on their website it clearly mentions that it locks into several positions. If it locked like they stated he wouldn't need to keep propping it up with his fingers. So much for the "clicking into position" ......

What a joke :

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I've been keeping an eye on this case since it was first announced and I've gone from excited to underwhelmed to disappointed to irritated. I don't like the design changes and the questions that went unanswered for so long. They also said there'd be a 2nd video which never appeared. Only recently have they started to actively respond to comments but for me it's too late, I already found a better case for me.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
vynn said:
I've been keeping an eye on this case since it was first announced and I've gone from excited to underwhelmed to disappointed to irritated. I don't like the design changes and the questions that went unanswered for so long. They also said there'd be a 2nd video which never appeared. Only recently have they started to actively respond to comments but for me it's too late, I already found a better case for me.

I was trying to hold out for this case as well, but I've given up on it. What case are you using?

TheLee

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
For people hating on the prototype video, personally I'm impressed it looked that good at all. The damn thing was printed on a **3d printer**, which is not known for high quality materials but rather prototyping speed.

That being said, I started a thread earlier despairing that this thing looks like vaporware. The fact that less than a week remains on ship, but no second video and shoddy customer responses? Worrisome. Still, it looked like the only folio-like thing that would satisfy my needs (DodoCase looks nice, but i'm worried about the binding adding too much bulk when i'm holding it in portrait). That is until....

I saw that noreve case linked here. Looks nice, and wish someone puts up a review for it soon!

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
For people hating on the prototype video, personally I'm impressed it looked that good at all. The damn thing was printed on a **3d printer**, which is not known for high quality materials but rather prototyping speed.

The big disappointment from the prototype video was the hinge which was originally going to be a ratcheting hinge that could click into place at various positions, making for a sturdy stand. In the prototype, the hinge design was horrible, sloppy and looked like there was nothing to keep it in place to prevent it from sliding around, collapsing or even tipping over on a slick surface.

Instead, Quirky reps decided it was best to spend their time educating potential buyers (prototyping wiki article etc.) rather than properly addressing the concerns.

TheLee

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
The big disappointment from the prototype video was the hinge which was originally going to be a ratcheting hinge that could click into place at various positions, making for a sturdy stand. In the prototype, the hinge design was horrible, sloppy and looked like there was nothing to keep it in place to prevent it from sliding around, collapsing or even tipping over on a slick surface.

Instead, Quirky reps decided it was best to spend their time educating potential buyers (prototyping wiki article etc.) rather than properly addressing the concerns.

i agree that quirky reps have been mismanaging the thing, but i was trying to point out that the hinge mechanism might be better improved by a non-prototype material. that being said, lacking an actual ratcheting mechanism kills the best part about the initial design.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Looks like they are experiencing typical delays in tooling, at least they are paying attention to the small details, a 2 week delay is a bummer.

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I will wait with optimism

I love the blog update and I like what I see in the latest video. I think this will be a great case. I hope it fits in my sf waterfield exo case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.