Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Ok, my DVD drive on my iMac is R2 (as I'm in the UK). I'm not going to have my external dirve for much longer as I'm going to uni (it's a family one you see), and I've been using that as a R1 player.

My question is, if I put a R1 DVD into my mac, can I rip it with MacTheRipper (and make a region free image) and not loose a region change?

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Kimi said:
Ok, my DVD drive on my iMac is R2 (as I'm in the UK). I'm not going to have my external dirve for much longer as I'm going to uni (it's a family one you see), and I've been using that as a R1 player.

My question is, if I put a R1 DVD into my mac, can I rip it with MacTheRipper (and make a region free image) and not loose a region change?

It should.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Kimi said:
I thought that the drive it's self had to change over? So I can play them with VLC fine? Have to go try that later.

Nope. Yes. Word. The DVD Region implementation is pretty lame and easy to break. You should be able to do it either way. It's only "kosher" DVD utilities that apparently pay attention to region.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.