.ra to MP3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ThatGirl, May 12, 2005.

1. ThatGirl macrumors regular

Is it possible to convert a Real Player (.ra) file to an MP3 file?

I'm on an iMac G4, using Jaguar.

Thanks

2. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

The real player audio file is not an audio file it is just a link to stream internet audio from wherever you downloaded the file from. You could download Soundflower or Jack tools for free and stream the audio from your default output into an audio editor set to record, to do this open up your 'audio MIDI setup' in utilities and select Soundflower as your default output, then in the audio settings of your editor select Soundflower as your input. Once the file is recorded as a .aiff file you can convert it to whatever you want. Audacity would do as a recorder, it's free too. I occasionally get glitches doing this but then i'm on a G3 so you may fare better.

3. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

IRecordMusic and Audio Hijack are also possibilities that are made for this. IRecordMusic is basically a modified version of Safari, in which you navigate to a website that has a stream in it, and then click a record button, and it makes an MP3 or AAC automatically. Very easy. :) It will even auto-pause if the stream times out or something like that. I haven't used Audio Hijack, but I believe it's designed to make recordings from any program outputting sound, so it's quite a bit more versatile, but maybe not as user-friendly....

5. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

*sigh* The danger of a little information and zero experience...

None of this worked. I know it's because I did it wrong. Whatever. I want to forget I ever tried. Jack will not uninstall. Right now, any sound is faintly in the back, and loud static covers it, as if something is unplugged. I keep choosing the default for input and output, but it won't stay that way. Every time I go back, it's reverted back to Jack again. I can't get Jack out.
    Haha. That would be funny if I weren't about to cry.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

WireTap works quite well in seeding audio to MP3. Pretty easy to use too..

7. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. However, at this point I just want to undo what I've done, and forget the whole thing.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you try the uninstaller that they provide on their website? What exactly did the uninstaller say at the end? An error msg, or did it just pretend like all was skippy?

9. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

The uninstaller asked me for a password. I tried the password we always use, but it wouldn't type it.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wouldn't type it, meaning nothing appeared in the window (like the little "***" that appear when you type a password in), or wouldn't type it meaning that it said it was an incorrect password?

If it's the former, then...hmmm...dunno. Having never tried Jack. Make sure nothing else is running while you try to uninstall, perhaps? Or the usual repair permissions / reboot spiel.

If it's the latter, it's possible that you have a master password setup that's besides the normal user one. If you don't know what it is, then you might have to reset it by booting off the install cd.

11. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

12. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Don't know why Jack tools is being such a dick. It is only a little more complex than Soundflower, which was what i gave instructions for, Soundflower just installs an extension file which appears in your audio input/output and is not an 'application' as such. Failing all this you could just record your stream to a minidisc and be done with it. I don't know what is up with your authorization password, never seen that before. If it's a shared computer then maybe someone else has logged a password and you are unwittingly logged in under that ID?? Has this locked you out of your computer?

13. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

not sure how you could really remove this... but i'd put in another vote for Audio HiJack... i own the Pro version and absolutely love it. wonderful application

14. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know why either, but I restarted the computer, and it seems to be working fine now. There is no more static over the sound. (Love a Mac) Anyway, if it is still not uninstalled, I don't know what kind of harm it might cause to just leave it there. I don't see it in the Audo Midi Setup anymore, so I guess it removed itself.

No, no one besides my son, but he has not put in any other passwords. He has an iBook, and wouldn't want to make my life harder on my iMac!

Soundflower would not install at all. Every time I tried it said to contact administrator. I'm the admin on this computer. There isn't anyone else.

My iMac righted itself, luckily. I'm giving up. :)

But...thanks for trying to help me, all of you!

15. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i'd try repairing permissions too..

16. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

17. Wotcher macrumors newbie

I like listening to BBC radio programs (which are archived in Realaudio format) on my iPod. I use audio hijack pro (www.rogueamoeba.com) that "hijacks" audios (Real, Safari, iTunes, etc) and outputs an MP3 file.

18. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

19. nork macrumors newbie

convert real audio to mp3

convert real audio to mp3 with the streambox ripper
    download the streambox ripper at its new location at
    http://www.streamboxripper.net/

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't click this link. Great place for pop-ups and spam but not for downloading anything.

Just for the record, Streambox Ripper (Windows) used to decode .ra files but they were sued by Real and distribution of that version of the application ceased.