Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Is it possible to convert a Real Player (.ra) file to an MP3 file?

I'm on an iMac G4, using Jaguar.

Thanks

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
The real player audio file is not an audio file it is just a link to stream internet audio from wherever you downloaded the file from. You could download Soundflower or Jack tools for free and stream the audio from your default output into an audio editor set to record, to do this open up your 'audio MIDI setup' in utilities and select Soundflower as your default output, then in the audio settings of your editor select Soundflower as your input. Once the file is recorded as a .aiff file you can convert it to whatever you want. Audacity would do as a recorder, it's free too. I occasionally get glitches doing this but then i'm on a G3 so you may fare better.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
IRecordMusic and Audio Hijack are also possibilities that are made for this. IRecordMusic is basically a modified version of Safari, in which you navigate to a website that has a stream in it, and then click a record button, and it makes an MP3 or AAC automatically. Very easy. :) It will even auto-pause if the stream times out or something like that. I haven't used Audio Hijack, but I believe it's designed to make recordings from any program outputting sound, so it's quite a bit more versatile, but maybe not as user-friendly....

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
allan_zip said:
The real player audio file is not an audio file it is just a link to stream internet audio from wherever you downloaded the file from. You could download Soundflower or Jack tools for free and stream the audio from your default output into an audio editor set to record, to do this open up your 'audio MIDI setup' in utilities and select Soundflower as your default output, then in the audio settings of your editor select Soundflower as your input. Once the file is recorded as a .aiff file you can convert it to whatever you want. Audacity would do as a recorder, it's free too. I occasionally get glitches doing this but then i'm on a G3 so you may fare better.

*sigh* The danger of a little information and zero experience...

None of this worked. I know it's because I did it wrong. Whatever. I want to forget I ever tried. Jack will not uninstall. Right now, any sound is faintly in the back, and loud static covers it, as if something is unplugged. I keep choosing the default for input and output, but it won't stay that way. Every time I go back, it's reverted back to Jack again. I can't get Jack out.
Haha. That would be funny if I weren't about to cry.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
mkrishnan said:
IRecordMusic and Audio Hijack are also possibilities that are made for this. IRecordMusic is basically a modified version of Safari, in which you navigate to a website that has a stream in it, and then click a record button, and it makes an MP3 or AAC automatically. Very easy. :) It will even auto-pause if the stream times out or something like that. I haven't used Audio Hijack, but I believe it's designed to make recordings from any program outputting sound, so it's quite a bit more versatile, but maybe not as user-friendly....
Thank you. However, at this point I just want to undo what I've done, and forget the whole thing.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Did you try the uninstaller that they provide on their website? What exactly did the uninstaller say at the end? An error msg, or did it just pretend like all was skippy?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ThatGirl said:
The uninstaller asked me for a password. I tried the password we always use, but it wouldn't type it.

Wouldn't type it, meaning nothing appeared in the window (like the little "***" that appear when you type a password in), or wouldn't type it meaning that it said it was an incorrect password?

If it's the former, then...hmmm...dunno. Having never tried Jack. Make sure nothing else is running while you try to uninstall, perhaps? Or the usual repair permissions / reboot spiel.

If it's the latter, it's possible that you have a master password setup that's besides the normal user one. If you don't know what it is, then you might have to reset it by booting off the install cd.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
Don't know why Jack tools is being such a dick. It is only a little more complex than Soundflower, which was what i gave instructions for, Soundflower just installs an extension file which appears in your audio input/output and is not an 'application' as such. Failing all this you could just record your stream to a minidisc and be done with it. I don't know what is up with your authorization password, never seen that before. If it's a shared computer then maybe someone else has logged a password and you are unwittingly logged in under that ID?? Has this locked you out of your computer?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
not sure how you could really remove this... but i'd put in another vote for Audio HiJack... i own the Pro version and absolutely love it. wonderful application

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
allan_zip said:
Don't know why Jack tools is being such a dick. It is only a little more complex than Soundflower, which was what i gave instructions for, Soundflower just installs an extension file which appears in your audio input/output and is not an 'application' as such. Failing all this you could just record your stream to a minidisc and be done with it. I don't know what is up with your authorization password, never seen that before. If it's a shared computer then maybe someone else has logged a password and you are unwittingly logged in under that ID?? Has this locked you out of your computer?

I don't know why either, but I restarted the computer, and it seems to be working fine now. There is no more static over the sound. (Love a Mac) Anyway, if it is still not uninstalled, I don't know what kind of harm it might cause to just leave it there. I don't see it in the Audo Midi Setup anymore, so I guess it removed itself.

No, no one besides my son, but he has not put in any other passwords. He has an iBook, and wouldn't want to make my life harder on my iMac!

Soundflower would not install at all. Every time I tried it said to contact administrator. I'm the admin on this computer. There isn't anyone else.

My iMac righted itself, luckily. I'm giving up. :)

But...thanks for trying to help me, all of you!

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
ThatGirl said:
I don't know why either, but I restarted the computer, and it seems to be working fine now. There is no more static over the sound. (Love a Mac) Anyway, it is still not uninstalled, and I don't know what kind of harm it might cause to just leave it there. No, no one besides my son, but he has not put in any other passwords. He has an iBook, and wouldn't want to make my life harder on my iMac!

Soundflower would not install at all. Every time I tried it said to contact administrator. I'm the admin on this computer. There isn't anyone else.

My iMac righted itself, luckily. I'm giving up. :)

i'd try repairing permissions too..

Wotcher

macrumors member
May 3, 2005
I like listening to BBC radio programs (which are archived in Realaudio format) on my iPod. I use audio hijack pro (http://www.rogueamoeba.com) that "hijacks" audios (Real, Safari, iTunes, etc) and outputs an MP3 file.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
nork said:
convert real audio to mp3 with the streambox ripper
download the streambox ripper at its new location at
http://www.streamboxripper.net/

Don't click this link. Great place for pop-ups and spam but not for downloading anything.

Just for the record, Streambox Ripper (Windows) used to decode .ra files but they were sued by Real and distribution of that version of the application ceased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.