Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
I'd like to second that request! At least then we could rule that out as a possible issue for those with the 1 gig 288 cards still having some issues.

Thanks!

sure, here you go.
this is for a sapphire, PN# 288-20e85-130sa/SKU# 11133-04-20r
i have mine in slot 1. it's tight, but if you work on the memory cage housing a bit, it'll go.

Attachments

• pc4870.zip
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,402

jaberwocky

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Europe
Boot off USB pen?

Doesn't work - without using rEfit it's not seen as startup disk, within rEfit 0.12 it's end up with "Error: Not Found returned from legacy loader,Error: Not Found from LocateDevicePath".

On a normal (older) PC (without PCI-express) the USB pen works ..

Bye, Jaberwocky

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Doesn't work - without using rEfit it's not seen as startup disk, within rEfit 0.12 it's end up with "Error: Not Found returned from legacy loader,Error: Not Found from LocateDevicePath".

On a normal (older) PC (without PCI-express) the USB pen works ..

Bye, Jaberwocky
What is the problem with booting on the DOS CD? Copy Atiflash on your DOS partition and boot with the CD.
You can also flash under windows with Ati winflash. Actually, I'd be interested to know if that works. You just gotta ask yourself the question: do I feel lucky? Well, do you, punk? ;)
Keep us informed. :)

jaberwocky

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Europe
What is the problem with booting on the DOS CD? Copy Atiflash on your DOS partition and boot with the CD.
You can also flash under windows with Ati winflash. Actually, I'd be interested to know if that works. You just gotta ask yourself the question: do I feel lucky? Well, do you, punk? ;)
Keep us unformed. :)

Well, the Problem is that i first want to save the original ROM from the card for backup & edit purpose. Booting with DOS-CD is no problem, only without rw.
Maybe someone can PM me the orig ROM from the sapphire card with his checksum (ATIFlash -cb 0). So i can verify that it's the same as installed on my card and i'm save so that i can start the party :D

My card: Sapphire HD4870 512M GDDR5
PCI-E DUAL DVI-I/TVO
PN 288-10EXX-XXXXX
SKU# 11133-03-20R

Bye, jaberwocky

c0052350

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
mine does'nt

Err, mine does. The BIOS has an option to specify which one should be used first : Integrated or PCIe

For reference, it's an Asus V3-M2A690G Barebone.

my brother has one of those asus barbones whilst it does give you that option it does not initialise the pcie slot and atiflash reports adapter not found

johnjobs

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Well, the Problem is that i first want to save the original ROM from the card for backup & edit purpose. Booting with DOS-CD is no problem, only without rw.
Maybe someone can PM me the orig ROM from the sapphire card with his checksum (ATIFlash -cb 0). So i can verify that it's the same as installed on my card and i'm save so that i can start the party :D

My card: Sapphire HD4870 512M GDDR5
PCI-E DUAL DVI-I/TVO
PN 288-10EXX-XXXXX
SKU# 11133-03-20R

Bye, jaberwocky

hello jaberwocky,

I bought the same card by Arlt, please can you send me your Bios. Thank you!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Yeah, get a call that my pci-e power cables arrived, so i will try flashing my card today.

Yust kneed to find a solution to save the orig. rom on my MacPro 1,1, cause only booting with FreeDOS on cd works, but can't change to fat partion .-(
(boot camp)

Bye, jaberwocjky

During FreeDOS boot I hit "Enter" at screen where you can choose "h" to boot off Hard Drive...then "2" to boot with no additional drivers.

I end up at an "A:" prompt

from here I did what I did in 1983..."C:" to switch drives then "dir/w" for a viewable list of what's on the drive. I can load ROMs in WIndows or OSX and there they are in DOS.

Atiflash -s 0 oldrom.rom

Bingo

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I still don't see why you cannot save the ROM to your DOS partition (the one holding atiflash) while freeDOS is booted from a CD.
There is a procedure explained here: http://www.hardmac.com/articles/78/page4
Remember that you can create a DOS partition with disk utility.

goin3d

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I still don't see why you cannot save the ROM to your DOS partition (the one holding atiflash) while freeDOS is booted from a CD.
There is a procedure explained here: http://www.hardmac.com/articles/78/page4
Remember that you can create a DOS partition with disk utility.

That worked like a charm!

I did try the Natit that Netkas posted and experienced no change. (Netkas, when did you make a change to that kext? When I downloaded it the modify date was 3/16.)

I then tried the rom that elvisizer posted recently and did receive some better results...so thanks Elvisizer!!! Here is where i'm at with the 1g sapphire 288* card: the 4870 will drive any 1 monitor regardless of which port is used. IE i can use a 1920x monitor in either port. Trying to connect a second monitor of any resolution crashes OS X, or booting with 2 connected fails. Which for my needs will work great as I will just plug my 2 "non-primary" monitors into a gt120. It is interesting though that either dvi port works but never both together.

But thank you everyone for the help that got things this far!

vicentk

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
hello jaberwocky,

I bought the same card by Arlt, please can you send me your Bios. Thank you!

May I know is that card had a huge fan? Because in Hong Kong is no more standard version now.

sapphire-radeon-hd-4870-silent-512m.gif

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Where does everyone get the power cables for the card? Someone here put up an instruction to roll your own but I'd like to avoid that if I can because it'll take me a while to assemble all the parts needed.

Which ROM should I use now? There are a bunch flying around.

Can you use the card in a PC with the Mac ROM on it?

I'm thinking of hanging on to my x1900, if I need to reinstall 10.5. BTW, I put in good thermal paste when I got and it's been running like a champ. No problems with it.

P.S. That Sapphire card looks good, with the fan exhausting out the back.

Konni

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
I got the Cable from ebay for 20 US$

Search following article number 250310817907

testmn3d

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
That worked like a charm!

I did try the Natit that Netkas posted and experienced no change. (Netkas, when did you make a change to that kext? When I downloaded it the modify date was 3/16.)

I then tried the rom that elvisizer posted recently and did receive some better results...so thanks Elvisizer!!! Here is where i'm at with the 1g sapphire 288* card: the 4870 will drive any 1 monitor regardless of which port is used. IE i can use a 1920x monitor in either port. Trying to connect a second monitor of any resolution crashes OS X, or booting with 2 connected fails. Which for my needs will work great as I will just plug my 2 "non-primary" monitors into a gt120. It is interesting though that either dvi port works but never both together.

But thank you everyone for the help that got things this far!

thanks for the good news!
and thanks for elvisizer for the rom. i will try to flash my card tonight.

jaberwocky

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Europe
Hi there,

i switched to another pc and extract the flash with atiflash360, it was only 63488 bytes, eg. 62 Kbyte, but the flash is ready for 128 KB.

exteinfo.jpg

After doing the conversion described by pipolo42 the final flash is only 112640 Byte (112 KB) :confused: instead of the expected 128 KB like the Apple Flash or the one from pipolo42 ?

Any hint ? What about the others here with there customized flashs, did you always got 128 KB ?

OK, did a look on the dumped flash from the apple card, it seems that after the EFI-part (112640) [which also ends with some fill-bytes (0xFF)] there is a third part until 128076/0x1F44C which is not copied by the instructions from pipolo24, after this block there are only fill-bytes (0xFF) to get to 128 KK.

So, maybe i append only the fill-bytes to go to 128 Kbyte and use the fix-script ?

Bye, Jaberwocky

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Hi there,

i switched to another pc and extract the flash with atiflash360, it was only 63488 bytes, eg. 62 Kbyte, but the flash is ready for 128 KB.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1148/exteinfo.jpg

After doing the conversion described by pipolo42 the final flash is only 112640 Byte (112 KB) :confused: instead of the expected 128 KB like the Apple Flash or the one from pipolo42 ?

Any hint ? What about the others here with there customized flashs, did you always got 128 KB ?

OK, did a look on the dumped flash from the apple card, it seems that after 0x1F44C there are only fill-bytes (0xFF) to get to 128 KK.

Bye, Jaberwocky
Careful there. It seems you have not extracted the full PC BIOS, which should exceed 64K. Plus, I recall someone had a problem with a final ROM of 112K.

jaberwocky

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Europe
Careful there. It seems you have not extracted the full PC BIOS, which should exceed 64K. Plus, I recall someone had a problem with pipomolo's method, which may not work properly for all cards. Your card is not a sapphire, is it?

It's the normal 512 Mbyte sapphire, same SKU as other here used, (see above posts from me).
Also the ckecksum from atiflash about the bios from card (-cb) & saved file (-cf) are the same (0x6F00)

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
It's the normal 512 Mbyte sapphire, same SKU as other here used, (see above posts from me)
Ok so did you flash it? :)
The board information in your photo is similar to the one posted by Rominator "Wekiva RV770.... B50701". Other people who bought a recent Sapphire had something like "RV770XT..."
Maybe your card is the original design and would work with the apple ROM.
If I were you, I'd re-extract the full ROM (i.e. 128K) and retry the "hybridization" to end with a 128K hybrid ROM before flashing.

pipomolo42

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
After doing the conversion described by pipolo42 the final flash is only 112640 Byte (112 KB)

You have to specify the size, in the atiflash -s command line. Something like
Code:
atiflash -s 0 pc4870.rom 20000

invoking the atiflash.exe without parameters will give you a help message.

jaberwocky

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Europe
You have to specify the size, in the atiflash -s command line. Something like
Code:
atiflash -s 0 pc4870.rom 20000

invoking the atiflash.exe without parameters will give you a help message.

Or you use ATIflash 3.62 - it saved the complete flash now! (got it from sapphire) But atiflash -cb is still broken, only uses 64 Kbyte for doing checksum. Some photos will come later.

Anyway, i will come back in a few hours with the new card up and running, i hope !

Thank you, jaberwocky

rhildinger

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
XFX 1GB 4870 card now working!

Okay, I originally bricked this card by flashing with a custom ROM that was corrupted by the EFI insertion process. I reflashed back to orig BIOS on a friend's PC so I could actually post with it in my Mac Pro. I figured out what went wrong with the EFI insertion process, fixed it, and reflashed. Now I have a fully working 4870 video card in windows and OS X, and the full GB of memory is recognized in both!

I'm currently running with the latest beta of OS X 10.5.7, and the 4870 is fully recognized. I know one poster had mentioned having trouble sleeping his system with this card, but it appears to work perfectly on mine.

The specific card I'm using is an XFX Radeon HD4870 XXX Edition 1GB PCI-Express Video Card purchased from a local Fry's.

vicentk

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Hong Kong
Okay, I originally bricked this card by flashing with a custom ROM that was corrupted by the EFI insertion process. I reflashed back to orig BIOS on a friend's PC so I could actually post with it in my Mac Pro. I figured out what went wrong with the EFI insertion process, fixed it, and reflashed. Now I have a fully working 4870 video card in windows and OS X, and the full GB of memory is recognized in both!

I'm currently running with the latest beta of OS X 10.5.7, and the 4870 is fully recognized. I know one poster had mentioned having trouble sleeping his system with this card, but it appears to work perfectly on mine.

The specific card I'm using is an XFX Radeon HD4870 XXX Edition 1GB PCI-Express Video Card purchased from a local Fry's.

Could you share your rom, if not pl'e send to my mail vicent at gmail.com

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

I'd like to second the request. Would you please post or email the ROM you used? My email is "chefpastry at yahoo dot com". Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.