Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Think Secret is reporting that it has heard increased talk about this from their sources. They mention that altho they reported on this over a yr ago, it seemed to have died. Now all of the sudden their radar is bleeping again, going so far as to speculate that Apple is on the verge of release, and WWDC may just be a good candidate for this.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
Serious Rack Mount

I cna honestly say, that I have not implemented OSX server seriously since I do not have any server class hardware from Apple to run it on. We run Compaq proliant and Dell servers here with Windows 2000 Server. All the boxes have Dual Power Supplies, Multiple Fans, Dual nics, Multi Processor, Raid 5 Ultra Wide SCSI with hot swap etc etc etc etc.....

If Apple will release a server it NEEDS this to be successful....a smaller U footprint would be nice too....Maybe 2 U....

Also it needs DDR RAM (sever Gigs worth) faster BUS, it DOES NOT need kick sound or graphics...

And on the software side they NEED better software to join Windows networks etc etc....

They also need a much security permissions....some more granular than Owner, group, everyone :cool:.....

A box with this ....I would pay permium bucks for, our Windows server aint cheap either.....

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Denmark
That'd be great

I would love a rack-mounting server. Actually, it might make me buy a rack just for that purpose :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.