Radtech cloth not allowing lid to close fully?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by daonesteven, Nov 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I received my Radtech cloth for the 11" air today and it's SUPER thin and all, but when I tried to close the lid over it, it didn't seem to close all the way? Does it settle in after a while or is this what I should be used to?

2. macrumors member

I have not had a problem with mine. I used it on my macbook pro and the macbook air. It does not close all the way but I don't see that being a problem...

3. macrumors regular

I presume that you guys use this to avoid the keyboard imprints on the screen? So, is it needed even if I just shut the lid and leave the Air on a desk, or only when I take the laptop around in a bag/sleeve?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess I was concerned because there was some talk about how it might cause unnecessary strain on the hinge or something. I think it should be fine the more I use it though. It's definitely thinner than the "thicker" one I had for my 13" macbook

5. macrumors newbie

Needless to say it's more important when you take the laptop around in a bag. But I found out the hard way this rule: use the cloth at all times. This laptop is more fragile than ice on a hot summer day.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

really? care to share your experience?

I only got it because I was just paranoid and wanted some peace of mind, but now I guess I'm glad I did.

7. macrumors 65816

IF you are a person who doesn't want to see any, even small, marks on the screen, and IF you carry your Air in a backpack or other bag with lots of others things, then this cloth is probably a good idea. Otherwise, especially if your Air just sits on a desk, don't bother. My 2 cents.

8. macrumors 6502

Same concern as myself. I have the cloth from my 13" Blackbook but obviously it's too thick to fit with my 13" MBA. I considered getting the thinner one but wasn't too sure about the stress on the hinges, if any.

I ended up just getting an iVisor and a Moshi Keyboard cover instead...although I'm not too sure how long I could stand the muffled sound from having the keyboard on... However with the iVisor on, I don't foresee any problem with getting fingerprints on my actual screen, so good enough for me.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

i actually had a keyboard cover too but i stopped using it because I couldn't really get used to it and opted for this cloth instead. With a screen protector though, I would say you've pretty much eliminated the need for the cloth.

10. macrumors member

if i have the film type screen protector (the ones that you stick over the screen) do you still need the cloth?

11. macrumors 6502a

Using the Radtech cloth with my 13" MBA and seems to fit well. I have a Speck case on the display part of the case to add some rigidity (the bottom part of the Speck case cracked and I threw it away). Survives the physical abuse in my backpack very well.

12. macrumors regular

pollaxe

I'm using one in my 13" MBA too - I've just had to have a replacement screen and upper case - so I'm taking no chances.

My MBA seems to close quite happily with the Radtech in place...

13. macrumors newbie

My last generation MBA 11 closed all the way with the Radtech cloth in place. However, it does not close all the way when used with my latest generation MBA 11.