Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raikkonen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Hey guys,

if i buy a macbook, would it be better to order it with a 1 gig ram (2 x 512) or just get it with the stock RAM and replace one of the 256 with a 1 gig RAM. It'll be more expensive to get the 1 gig RAM, but at least I have 1.25 instead of just 1 gig. But I read somewhere that paired RAM is better for the macbooks... any advice? Thanks.

zorg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2006
Can someone give me a specific link to where would be a good place to buy? Also, what is the difference between unbuffered and registered?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
zorg said:
Can someone give me a specific link to where would be a good place to buy? Also, what is the difference between unbuffered and registered?
Your question was already answered (look here for links). Go somewhere that knows Macs, buy the RAM they offer, and don't bother trying to save $20 on RAM by buying stuff you don't know will work.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
zorg said:
One immediate difference is that Registered RAM does not work in ANY Macintosh (perhaps there is one model of XServe that uses it, IDRRN)

If you are asking the question, however, it probably means you are looking at generic RAM sites -- I suggest you look for a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no cost return if it doesn't work.

If you want more RAM definitions, check here

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Your link doesn't work - it's to your shopping cart. Numerous knowledgeable people have recommended sites which you ignore. I think you're on your own.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
zorg said:
Uh, but isn't Patriot a bigger and more reputably company?
Sure. General Motors is a big and reputably company. I'm gonna buy some of their pistons to put in my Ford's engine. It doesn't SAY Ford compatible but it's gotta work, dont'cha think? :rolleyes:

There is much more to RAM compatibility than "DDR2-667 200 pin SODIMM". The only way you know 100% that it is compatible, is to buy from a seller who has tested and is prepared to guarantee compatibility for your model Mac.

Otherwise: It MAY work. It MAY fail. It MAY work for a while and then fail, corrupting your data. It MAY work until your next OS or Firmware upgrade, and fail then. When you buy PC generic RAM, you are assuming the responsibility for testing the RAM. Then if it doesn't work, you have wasted the time, the shipping expense (usually both ways) and if you're really lucky, a 15% restocking fee deducted from your refund, because the RAM was not defective when tested in a PC.

You want to take the risk, for a $20 savings, be my guest.
Some people have tried Patriot in the past - for some it worked, for others it didn't. See, because it's generic, it is liable to be a different construction this month compared to last month. So nobody can tell you. Least of all NewEgg who don't guarantee compatibility on a single thing.

For the final time, the vendors most often cited on MR that you can count on for Mac compatible RAM are Crucial, OWC and Data Memory Systems. Kingston's KTA- series RAM is also good, but they seldom get a recommendation because of the price. Before you ask, the Kingston and Crucial that you see at NewEgg or Frys is their generic line without the Mac guarantee. There are a few other reputable online sellers in the USA that guarantee Mac compatibility too, just not frequented by as many MR members.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
1. Re-read everything we that was posted here. You seem to either not understand our advice or just plan ignore it.

2. Patriot RAM is crap. It's crap in a PC. It's crap in a Mac. It is generic RAM with a fancy sticker on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.