Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
ok, I'm a Mac Switcher and a first time laptop owner. I bought a 800mhz Ibook with 128mb of ram, I want to upgrade this ram.
Do I have to get ram from apple?
If not what are the spec of the ram I need?
Can I goto Bestbuy and get the Ram with the given specs or do I need "ibook compatible" RAM?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Congrats! You don't have to buy RAM from Apple. The iBook RAM specs are on this page:

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

You can get RAM for your iBook through pretty much any place that sells Macs or Mac memory: MacWarehouse.com, MacMall.com, MacZone.com, etc. etc... However, I recommend either crucial.com or 18004memory.com.

...and they make it pretty easy to identify the kind of RAM you need based upon your model of computer as opposed to having to know the exact kind of RAM, which helps.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
512MB SO-DIMMs for the iBook are less than $100. Shop around and have fun!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
two of the best places for memory.

for the best price click here:

for that fuzzy warm feeling of using a vendor who caters to mac people, at a small premium click here:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
So I have to buy the ram through an online vendor? and I have to get ram thats for the ibook specifically. I would much rather get the ram in town in case I have any problems, but it seems like online is my only option.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You don't have to buy online. But you'll probably pay twice as much if you buy locally, and the better known mail order vendors do provide support.

If you are really concerned, I'd recommend OWC Computing. They will not do you wrong.

I've also purchased memory from MemoryX and Data Memory Systems without problem.

Here is a link to an updated list of RAM prices for your iBook:

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/6/512MB.html

If you buy locally, the vendor may not be very familiar with Apple systems. Make sure you get a 144 pin PC100 or PC133 SO-DIMM.

Chris

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by chabig

If you buy locally, the vendor may not be very familiar with Apple systems. Make sure you get a 144 pin PC100 or PC133 SO-DIMM.

Chris

make sure it is also low-profile as not just any sodimm will fit into the iBook RAM slot. its nonstacked 1.44" lowprofile.

kperry8

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
Re: Even ordered an iBook 800 yesterday...

Originally posted by MacRib
Hi,

I'm just in the same situation, but I ordered 512 mbytes of ram with it (germany: 120 Euro). But I wonder there aren't any bigger memory upgrades possible, like an 768 mb expansion?
Nope, not yet. For now, you're maxed out.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes. An iBook SO-DIMM must be non-stacked, and be no more than 1.25 inches tall.

Chris

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
exact specs

Ok all these specs are scatterd can someone reply in one post wtih the exact specs for the ram that I need inclusing speed, bus speed, size and type? This would be really helpful cuz i'm slow with tthis kinda stuff

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You want a:

144 pin
PC 100 (or PC 133)
non-stacked
low-profile SO-DIMM

That's about covers it. Also, don't be afraid to tell the vendor that it's for an Apple dual USB iBook. That way they have to accept at least part of the responsibility for making sure it's the right part.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.