Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RajK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
First let me say that I'm a very new Mac user. I recently bought a new 15" iMac for home with the standard 256MB Ram and I ordered an additional 256 from Crucial. Installed the RAM before hooking up the iMac, and thought everything was well.

Except today I actually looked in About This Mac and I saw that it's only detecting 256MB of RAM and nothing in the second slot.

I followed the instructions correctly when I installed it, everything snapped into place correctly. Am I missing anything?

stoid

macrumors 601
It's possible that you got a faulty RAM chip. They happen about 2-5 percent of the time depending upon the company. Call crucial, and they will send you a new one although you will likely have to pay some shipping to send the busted one back and get a new module.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
You could try re-seating the RAM. Pull it out and blow air over the RAM connector to ensure no dust is there. I've seen dust get into places that would cause these types of symptoms. Then re-install.

Good luck!

RajK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Thanks, everyone. I'll give those options a try and if they don't work I'll contact Crucial. I appreciate the help.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
since we are talking ram i must say one thing ---allways take Static Precautions! never handle & fondle the chips and allways ground yourself other wise you can end up with nothing. just thought i'd mention that for new users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.