Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ramones Co-Founder Dies Of Cancer

Johnny Ramone Co-Founded The Ramones In 1974

LOS ANGELES -- Johnny Ramone, guitarist and co-founder of the seminal punk band The Ramones, has died.

Ramone, who had battled prostate cancer for five years, was 55. His publicist said he died in his sleep Wednesday afternoon at his Los Angeles home surrounded by friends and family.

He co-founded "The Ramones" in 1974 along with Joey Ramone, DeeDee Ramone and Tommy Ramone.

Joey died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer, while bassist Dee Dee died from a drug overdose in 2002 .Tommy Ramone is now the only surviving member of the original band.

A tribute concert and cancer research fund-raiser was held Sunday in Los Angeles to celebrate the band's 30th anniversary. It featured performances by Los Angeles punk band X, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Henry Rollins and others.

The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Their hits include "I Wanna Be Sedated," "Rock 'n' Roll High School" and "Blitzkrieg Bop."

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MacNut said:
Ramones Co-Founder Dies Of Cancer

Johnny Ramone Co-Founded The Ramones In 1974

LOS ANGELES -- Johnny Ramone, guitarist and co-founder of the seminal punk band The Ramones, has died.

Ramone, who had battled prostate cancer for five years, was 55. His publicist said he died in his sleep Wednesday afternoon at his Los Angeles home surrounded by friends and family.

He co-founded "The Ramones" in 1974 along with Joey Ramone, DeeDee Ramone and Tommy Ramone.

Joey died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer, while bassist Dee Dee died from a drug overdose in 2002 .Tommy Ramone is now the only surviving member of the original band.

A tribute concert and cancer research fund-raiser was held Sunday in Los Angeles to celebrate the band's 30th anniversary. It featured performances by Los Angeles punk band X, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Henry Rollins and others.

The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Their hits include "I Wanna Be Sedated," "Rock 'n' Roll High School" and "Blitzkrieg Bop."
At this rate, Tommy Ramone will probably pass away too sometime soon. How sad. (I have never heard of the Ramones before.)

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Dr. Dastardly said:
And when I turned on MTV to hear anything about this I didn't hear a damn thing. But I got an ear full of Avril Lavigns impending marriage to some Sum 41 goon. GOD I hate MTV! :mad:

why would you turn on MTV for news of the Ramones???? MTV is for pubescent kids who like teenybop music. I'd reckon VH1 would more likely have something about his death.

it's a shame, the Ramones were one of those bands everyone's heard of (well, i guess not everyone eh?) and everyone's heard too (maybe without knowing it)

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
evoluzione said:
why would you turn on MTV for news of the Ramones???? MTV is for pubescent kids who like teenybop music. I'd reckon VH1 would more likely have something about his death.

it's a shame, the Ramones were one of those bands everyone's heard of (well, i guess not everyone eh?) and everyone's heard too (maybe without knowing it)
Where I was at I didn't get VH1 very well. Or believe me thats where I would have much rather have gone.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
The Ramones are one of my favorite bands and the best and first punk rock group. It's sad that Joey, Dee Dee, and Johnny have all died so recently.

I have been listening to Ramones' songs all day. Of course i had to listen to the most relevant ones first: I Don't Want To Live This Life (Anymore), I Wanna Live, and I'm Not Afraid Of Life.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers go out to the family and friends of Johnny Ramone, guitarist and co-founder of the seminal punk band The Ramones. May he rest in peace. Sounds like he may have been under Hospice Care since he died peacefully in his sleep.

Gyroscope

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
R.I.P. Johnny Ramone.

Ramones saved Rock'n'Roll.

Thanks for all good memories.

Sad day indeed.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
goodbye Johnny...

Goodbye Johnny

Say hello to Joey and Dee Dee.

Gabba Gabba Hey!

I'm glad I have off work today.

I.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i was shocked

but it also seems so strange to me that he died of prostate cancer...but then again he was 55 and that's when many people first show signs of it so it's very important men after 50 get checked...maybe it will prompt more men to get checked for this killer disease which can be cured if treated early

it just seems like yesterday when he was a young man playing in the new york club scene...man, what a contrast to the disco scene ;)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
wrldwzrd89 said:
At this rate, Tommy Ramone will probably pass away too sometime soon. How sad. (I have never heard of the Ramones before.)

Oh crap I feel old.
The Ramones, more than any other band, set the course for punk/grunge for the entire music world. They were the not the first but rather the most influential, and just about every group today owes a bit to them.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Les Kern said:
Oh crap I feel old.

tell me about it...the ramones were kids that hung around in rockaway and had a small, but loyal following of young punks who rebelled against the older establishment

but when the ramones became among the old men of rock and roll and the most senior statesmen of punk and just as established in critics and fans' minds like pop, disco, and mtv, it really irked joey ramone to no end and they played their last concert series in california near san jose...they no longer were anti-establishment and part of a young cutting edge movement

many of the fans of the last years of the ramones were punk rock kids whose parents listened to the early ramones

youth and energy certainly has its place in rock and roll, but i am glad that at least johnny ramone lived more than twice as long as janice joplin, brian jones, jim morrison, kurt cobain, and jimi hendrix

it's sad that so many rock and roll stars live such short lives and it's likely few will live as long as little richard or chuck berry...let's hope tommy ramone and marky ramone get to see social security age ten years down the line

it will be strange if the living sex pistols, 4 out of 5 of them i think, live to 60 and end up playing concerts singing "anarchy in the uk" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.