Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Has anyone else experienced this? Know a fix?

Scenario:
  • Close all apps
  • Reboot phone
  • Check which apps are running and find at least 2-3 random open apps
I have this issue on both iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Double click the home button - bringing up multitasking view.
I see. The apps listed there aren't necessarily running as it's primarily a list of recently used apps (vs a list of actually running apps).

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I see. The apps listed there aren't necessarily running as it's primarily a list of recently used apps (vs a list of actually running apps).

so that is how iOS 9.x works? Previous versions IIRC only had apps that were actually open when rebooting.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
so that is how iOS 9.x works? Previous versions IIRC only had apps that were actually open when rebooting.
Nope. Always just a list of previously used apps. Nothing indicated if they were open or closed.

Some people spend all day closing them thinking they are running. That's not how iOS works.

Unless you have a specific reason for closing them then just leave them. It uses more battery power to load and unload things from memory plus the screen time of you actually doing the task. If iOS needs more memory it will close an app by itself. Well not actually close, suspend it.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Has anyone else experienced this? Know a fix?

Scenario:
  • Close all apps
  • Reboot phone
  • Check which apps are running and find at least 2-3 random open apps
I have this issue on both iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6.

What you are seeing isn't apps running after a reboot. They are just screenshots of the apps you used prior to closing out apps and quickly rebooting.

The app switcher doesn't update which screenshots the very second you close things out. So when you rebooted, it's loading the last saved screenshots it did.

I heard reports of people saying that 9.1 doesn't do this. So maybe they tweaked how soon after the app switcher saves which the screenshots.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Unless you have a specific reason for closing them then just leave them. It uses more battery power to load and unload things from memory plus the screen time of you actually doing the task. If iOS needs more memory it will close an app by itself. Well not actually close, suspend it.

The bolded part is only true to a certain point. Especially on 1gb ram devices. It doesn't take much to have an app kicked from ram. Say you open app 1, then over the course of 20-25 minutes or so, you've opened 2-3 more apps. Odds are very likely app 1 has been kicked out of ram by those 2-3 other apps you used. App 1 would need to fully relaunch again, thus losing out on that precious "battery saving".

In the case of the new phones with 2gb of ram. It can still happen but takes much longer to do it. Since 2-3 apps wouldn't tie up all the ram and kick out app 1 as quickly.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

Its an old misunderstanding. The list of apps was never a "currently running apps". Which is why people thought they're "closing apps" by swipping up in that list. That list is merely a list of recently used apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.