Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenbeans

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I installed the update yesterday and used my computer for a couple of hours. Usually I would suffer a black screen once or twice. This time it didn't happen.

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
Great for 2012 Mini's but what about 2011 & 2010??

I'm thrilled there's a response from Apple and a solution as well. I have a Late 2010 Mini that has the same issue - there are no EFI Updates that address this for those machines ... any ideas ... I guess not enough people complained earlier...

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I'm thrilled there's a response from Apple and a solution as well. I have a Late 2010 Mini that has the same issue - there are no EFI Updates that address this for those machines ... any ideas ... I guess not enough people complained earlier...

more likely you have a bad cable, a bad mini jack or a bad jack in your monitor/tv. Also minis do not like some older tvs and monitors

I have upgraded more then 50 2010 minis with 0 black screen issues.

I do know the 2009 machines had the problem I had a lot of black screens with them. 10 or 15 out of 60 had issues then they did do a fix for them.

Also the 2011's were good I had about 70 all good.

the 2012's have been 4 in 4 bad so far. but the patch is working.

evanavevan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I can't speak for HDMI connections, but my two thunderbolt displays in a maxed out 2012 mini consistently flicker to black still.

longer.zhou

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
I used to see both the black screen and the snowy screen some times every day.
After updating the firmware, I haven't had the black screen so far.
But the snowy screen still exists.

Last edited:

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Well, I got my answer soon enough.

The black screens and snow are gone; however, my Thunderbolt Crashes aren't. I just had one a few minutes ago. I went to another forum, and out of the blue, BAM.

Given that I'm seeing garbage on the screen (both the TB display and the HDMI display now), I'm wondering if it's a video memory problem. Crap. Until it becomes more prevalent, I guess I'll have to deal with it... who knows if the Apple Store will do anything if they can't reproduce it.

Rob

Katieg-fm

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Alberta
had one black screen within minutes of turning new mini on for first time. once i ran the update, no blacks screens or video quality issues at all, and am connected via HDMI.
the computer display looks even better than my cable box dislay quality on my tv.

lawburr

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Michigan
Bricked my mini

I updated the firmware and now I get kernal panics anywhere from 30 sec to ten minutes after booting up. Apple says reload OS but the mini will not stay up long enough to do it.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
I updated the firmware and now I get kernal panics anywhere from 30 sec to ten minutes after booting up. Apple says reload OS but the mini will not stay up long enough to do it.

Famous Apple slogan " It just works ! "
How about " It barely works ! " ?

Apple is good at making products for their closed proprietary system, like an all-in-one iMac. Once customers have choices for their peripherals, it's not easy to say "It just works". I can see Microsoft's challenge in making so many hardware (both internal and external) compatible with Windows.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
I can't speak for HDMI connections, but my two thunderbolt displays in a maxed out 2012 mini consistently flicker to black still.

Is it a problem with running two TB displays? I have on TB display hooked up to the TB port on the 2012 mini and a second using HDMI->DVI and haven't had any issues with the TB display.

evanavevan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Is it a problem with running two TB displays? I have on TB display hooked up to the TB port on the 2012 mini and a second using HDMI->DVI and haven't had any issues with the TB display.

Yeah, 2 TBDs daisy chained to 1 TB port and constant flickering. More workload makes then flicker more. Returning and switching to new iMac + TBD instead.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Time to bring it in.

Yeah I'm not sure why some others are having problems. Several of the people that had issues reported having something in-between the mini and the monitor, like a AV receiver. So it appears it's something with their setup (bad cable, old monitor, etc) that's the missing link.

Carl%R

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Sweden
Installed the update the same day it was released and so far I haven't had a black screen. Used to get one about once per session before. So hopefully it's been fixed. I'm quite pleased with this machine now (i7 2.6, 16GB, Fusiondrive).

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
no more flickering here since the EFI update was installed!

have an Apple TB Display and an old Cinema HD (HDMI -> DVI adapter used) connected. Before the EFI update, I got the HDMI blackouts 3-6 times a day.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Well its been a few days since the update.

I can confirm the Black Screens have now gone for me BUT I am still getting the Snowy Screens. Maybe that is a driver issue that will be fixed in 10.8.3 :confused:

I hope anyway!

911scanner

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
I truly am sorry to hear about everybody's issues in this thread.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about planning to purchase a mini, but waiting until this issue was resolved.

Based on the update, I went ahead and purchase my new mini.

I am running 4 Dell monitors; A 2405, 2412 & 2x 2312. I'm happy to say that I have no issues with with either of the 24". One is run from the DP & one from the HDMI.

I am having a bit of issues with the 2x23", with are both run with Plugable USB to DVI adapters. They're stuttering a bit and having alignment issues.

While I cannot really hold the MM responsible for this, the USB>DVI adapters worked better on my 2010 27" iMac. I believe this is either caused by the better graphics capability in the iMac or a slight conflict with OS 10.8.3.

Just thought I'd pass along my experiences with the new mini & 4 monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.