Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I got an Apple TV 3 for Christmas last year and I have it hooked up to a 55" Plasma HDTV. I've noticed that when I use it to watch movies (on Netflix, iTunes streaming, or otherwise), the screen will black out randomly. It usually takes about 5 or 10 seconds for the screen to come back on. What's weird is the movie continues playing while the screen is blacked out.

I unplugged the power and HDMI from the ATV and also disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV. I let it sit for a minute and plugged everything back in. It stopped the blackouts for a good amount of time but it started up again nonetheless. The blackouts are completely random and sometimes they'll happen one right after another. It's extremely annoying and I have no idea what's causing it.

Is it a problem with the Apple TV or does it sound like a problem with my TV? I'm able to pause the movie/TV show I'm watching while it blacks out, so the ATV is still functional. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow but I figured I check here first to see if it's even an issue with the Apple TV. Thanks!

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Do you have another TV and/or HDMI Cable to try it out?

Does this symptom happen with any other video source such as cable?

If you are able to pause it does sound like a problem with your TV. However it could very well be a video hardware failure on the ATV. You need to isolate the problem to figure out exactly which component is displaying the blackout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.