Random Disconnect

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Bonesone4, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Let me just say that I love my Apple TV....when it works. And when it works, it's fantastic and I love it. But let me tell ya, when it doesn't work it really ****ing sucks and ***** the bed.

For some reason that the lord almighty only knows, my apple tv just decides to freeze while I'm watching a movie. And then it stops and tells me the video format is not acceptable. Now mind you, I had been watching the movie for a good hour so I'm really into it at this point...It's been doing it a lot lately. I'll be watching a movie I converted and all of a sudden it starts to get choppy and then freezes on me. It's stupid. So I go into iTunes and decide to sync the movie directly to the apple tv to see if that would work and BAM! Now all of a sudden, as soon as I click the "sync" option, the apple tv icon disappears in iTunes under the devices list...

Are you for real Apple? Fix this stupid ****.
  2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2007
    Reset your router, they can get buggy when running for a while, and that may help.

Make sure the Apple isn't in a hot enclosure (and if it's dusty, blow it out with some compressed air).

Any new cordless phones, or other wireless devices in the house? How about the neighbors - they have any new networks running? Perhaps try changing the network channel (frequency) and see if that makes things more stable.
  3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2003
    Yeah, sounds like a network/router issue. Same thing used to happen to me all the time, until I realized my router was getting kicked offline whenever my g/f used the cordless phone. Got a new phone, and no more problems.
  4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2007
    The best solution ever - is to go wired. Yeah I know, back in time to the days of Cat 5 Ethernet.

I got sick of drops with my media center, and was ultimately surprised at how easy it was to route / hide the cable under carpet (and into the basement ultimately). Since then - faster transfers, and zero drops. None. I swear.

Also don't have to worry about a neighbor boosting my wifi. ;)

I know for some people, this isn't an option.