Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
When I click on a thread that has multiple pages, it would open that thread to a random page, for example page 9 of the thread instead of page 1. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Anyone else experiencing this?

I very often had a sense of that when vBulletin was used.

Now that XenForo is used, there's probably a logical, technical explanation.

Beyond that logic, less technically

It'll be ideal to never have an apparently random/unexpected result in response to a predefined (side-defined) action that's intended to produce results that are specific and/or expected.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Sometimes with threads that only have 1 page, it'll take me to a random post in that thread instead of the first post

Reactions: grahamperrin

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I don't think so cause it happens for threads that I haven't looked at before
This happens to me now and then in Safari on iOS 8.3 (iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2). This may have something to do with marking all forums read, being that the system assumes you've read up until that point even though you've never entered that thread.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't noticed it with unread threads, but I've seen it happen with read threads where it'll pick a random post instead of the first unread one. I use Safari at home and SeaMonkey (Firefox) at work, but I'm not sure whether I'm seeing it with both browsers.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I haven't noticed it with unread threads, but I've seen it happen with read threads where it'll pick a random post instead of the first unread one. I use Safari at home and SeaMonkey (Firefox) at work, but I'm not sure whether I'm seeing it with both browsers.
Thank you. I think this issue has to do with the unread functionality. The first unread post in a thread that I have not entered should be the OP, but it doesn't always work out that way .

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I agree this is confusing. Maybe we could link the title to the first and then something else to unread. Seems that would be more expected behavior.

arn

Reactions: ardchoille50

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree this is confusing. Maybe we could link the title to the first and then something else to unread. Seems that would be more expected behavior.

arn
That would be more like the way the forums used to work before the switch (which is perfectly fine and probably more consistent with people's expectations, assuming that "something else" is kind of obvious and easy to use on desktop and mobile devices).

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

arn
How about linking the thread title to the first post (OP) and having a small button that simply reads "Unread" next to the thread title or after the title time stamp that takes us to the first undead post? Though that still doesn't fix the fact that the "first unread" function sometimes takes us to a random post. Perhaps someone needs to take a close look at the code that makes up the "first unread" function? How exactly does the software determine which post is the first unread post? That determination may be buggy.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I get this only when I mark all forums as read then on returning it'll take me to the first post in all threads after the time I'd clicked mark as read.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I get this only when I mark all forums as read then on returning it'll take me to the first post in all threads after the time I'd clicked mark as read.
I've done some tests, including logging time stamps, here on my iOS devices and that isn't as reliable as I'd expected.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… this is confusing …

Give it time.

I suspect that if you remove the misleading emphases from other parts of the page, then the emphasis (bold) on the title alone will become more strongly associated with 'unread'. And so it should be no surprise to find yourself at the first unread post after clicking on the title of something unread.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Spun off partly from (not to be confused with) the random pages topic …

Sometimes with threads that only have 1 page, it'll take me to a random post …
This happens to me now and then in Safari on iOS 8.3 (iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2). This may …
Happens in both safari and chrome
… read threads where it'll pick a random post instead of the first unread … Safari … SeaMonkey … not sure whether I'm seeing it with both browsers.

From MacRumors Forums Theme Change and New Platform:
Sometimes when I navigate a thread, it jumps down to a particular post after scrolling through for lack of a better description.

I think it is when images are loading on the page and it pushes the replies down …
I've experienced this as well. I think it is a case of the post "grid" loading in the page and then certain posts are lengthened as the pictures complete their loading. We wouldn't see this happening if the page were to load with exact picture size information for each post, but then we would see large blocks of blank area in certain posts, that contain large pictures are several pictures, prior to the completion of loading all of the pics. I don't think there is a feasible method to overcome this.

A suggestion for Mac users of Safari

@Mac7, @ardchoille50, @Nermal and @Dark Void: if the explanation is not as suggested at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21463800 (involving unread behaviours) – and if you use Safari on a Mac – then you might experiment with the routine below. Early indications are that it improves things for me; it may do the same for you.

First, open each of these posts in a new window (one per window) and refrain from scrolling:
  1. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20879932
  2. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20898588
Close both windows, then quit Safari.

Launch Terminal, run the following one-line command:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2AcceleratedDrawingEnabled -bool false
Relaunch Safari.

Open each of these posts in a new window (one per window) and again, refrain from scrolling:
  1. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20879932
  2. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20898588
Does the first window have, at the top of its screen, the post from adamhenry with the 'desktop.jpg' attachment (earth from space)?

Does the second window have, at the top of its screen, the post from adamhenry with the 'Captura de pantalla 2015-03-28 a las 16.03.40.png' attachment?

Side note: an earlier experiment

Speed up Safari - Mac GuidesAdjust the 'Render Before Display' Timer

Whether the default is 1 (one second) with more modern versions of Safari, I don't know. I experimented with five- and ten-second delays, reverted to 0.25.

(Thanks to whoever drew attention to that guide. I can't recall where it was mentioned.)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Side note: the merger of two topics has lost the distinguishing title. As I said, "not to be confused with" …

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.