Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nazdarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
We are in a terrible "do loop" with Apple Care. My wife's MacBook performed flawlessly the first month. Then the shutdowns started. Off to the Apple Store and they sent it in for repair. Hooray!
But-
I'm afraid the story has taken a terrible turn for the worse. The first repair came back after 2 weeks and the machine was fine for another 2 weeks. Then the shutdowns started. Apple Care sent up a nifty little capture tool that made a quick .img out of the system and crash logs, which we then sent to Apple for the "engineers" to look at and offer suggestions.

Shutdowns get noticeably more frequent as the week progresses. Apple asks for more capture files.

Then the screen goes haywire. Whether booted from the HDD or a CD, nice, comforting multicolored vertical lines. System seems to be booting okay, but the video is still a nice series of lines. At this time we can't complete a fresh system back-up.

Apple recognizes that the video is a new problem and sends us a box for a quick return for repair. So, trying to be patient, we send the MB off to Tennessee. Again.

The MB makes it back in five days and the display works fine, everything looks good. We made a quick back-up (just in case) and everyone is happy. According to the repair paperwork, they replaced a DIMM and a few other parts. Since the logic board was replaced the first time, they apparently left that alone.

The next morning the shutdowns begin again. Apple Care says they will send another box but they don't understand why it might continue to do this. Neither do we.

Back to Apple again. Now the repair status says "Awaiting parts on order".

So, Apple Computer Inc., at what point do you think we have been patient enough with the process and replace the computer?

Anyone else have their MacBook in for a third time?

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I can't be of help as I don't have a Macbook but I would certainly be angling for a new machine if thsi repair doesn't go well.

It sounds like you've got a right lemon!

Here in the UK when i was moaning to the tech support people I was told that if you have "multiple" problems with the same machine, they will replace it. Sounds like this may be your avenue of action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.