Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I've been watching case manufacturers develop products for various mobile devices over the years and I keep asking myself if they're really just plain stupid when it comes to designing cases with exposed corners.

If any rational person were to actually watch any rectangular object fall, you'll see that a corner of said object will impact the ground first almost 100% of the time. Even if it somehow seems to fall flat on its side, the odds of that happening are minimal.

So, why do so many manufacturers create cases with exposed corners?

Thankfully, I'm smarter than that and I vote with my wallet, but I'm sorely disappointed in a lot of nice designs I had to pass on because of a designer's incompetence.

If you work for a case manufacturer, I'd be really interested to understand your logic or lack thereof. Or, if you have any input in your company, I strongly urge you to send this up the chain until it resonates with someone who can see the common sense in this.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
yea, wtf cases have exposed corners??? maybe exposed tops and bottoms but never seen exposed corners. how would a case with exposed corners mount on the phone???

It could grip the top and sides. Not saying that I've seen any that do, but it would be possible to attach without covering the corners.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Doh, I was wondering where this post went!

I was in the iPad forum in another browser tab and posted this here by accident.

Anyhoo, some iPhone cases, like slip leather cases, occasionally do leave the corners exposed, but when it came to iPads, it was as if they were all following the same mandate to leave them open to damage.

My bad if it caused any confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.