Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
GAD.JPG

Dr. Vernon Carrington​

THE TWELVE TRIBES OF ISRAEL
81-83 HOPE ROAD
KINGSTON, JAMAICA

Friday, March 25, 2005

FROM THE EXECUTIVE OF THE 12 TRIBES OF ISRAEL, JAMAICA HOUSE

PRESS RELEASE

Greetings In The name Of Our Lord And Saviour Jesus Christ Who Revealed
Himself To Us In The Personality of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile
Selassie I.

Dr. Vernon Carrington, affectionately known around the world as the
Prophet
Gad, passed away in his sleep at about 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning,
March
22, 2005 at his home at 164 Old Hope Road, Kingston, Jamaica.

The founder and leader of The Twelve Tribes of Israel in Jamaica at 7
Davis
Lane, Trench Town, Kingston 12 since 1968, Brother Gad had been ailing
for
several months.

Funeral arrangements for Brother Gad are set for Thursday, April 7,
The body of the Prophet Gad will lie in state at the headquarters of
The
Twelve Tribes of Israel in Kingston, Jamaica, 81-83 Hope Road from
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Thursday, April 7, 2005. The memorial service
will
be held at 81-83 Hope Road after which interment will take place at the
Dovecot Cemetery, St. Catherine. Members and well wishers of The
Twelve
Tribes of Israel are asked to wear their own tribe colour on the day of
the
funeral.

The Twelve Tribes of Israel's wishes and prayers are with the family
and
friends of Brother Gad and we extend to them our deepest condolences.

May his soul rest in peace in the arms of Jah, Rastafari, Selassie I.

Members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel included Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Sis. Carol, Israel Vibration, FredLocks, Aswad, Brigadier Jerry, Freddie McGregor many more.

Some might wonder why I posted this thread in the first place. I posted it because Bro. Gad shared something with me that I thought I share with you...

He said, "Read your Bible one chapter a day, from Gen. 1 to Rev. 22, and know the Truth for yourself."

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
eleveneastgate said:
Some might wonder why I posted this thread in the first place. I posted it because Bro. Gad shared something with me that I thought I share with you...

He said, "Read your Bible one chapter a day, from Gen. 1 to Rev. 22, and know the Truth for yourself."

I should honour this man's passing--he certainly led a good life--but beg to differ with the motivation behind your quote: Genesis through Chronicles, plus the Talmud, should be quite enough for many, as would be Al-Fatihah through An-Nas to others. I encourage religious freedom, but urge everyone to avoid proselytisation, as it only seems to lead to trouble.

Including on the forums. If you must insist that others read your version, I suggest that you yourself take a look at the Talmud and the Qu'ran so as to become more well-rounded on related faiths, if you haven't already.

Remember: Timshel.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If he is encouraging people to read the Bible daily that's a good thing. May he rest in peace. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
True. One should read the bible and come up with one's own ideas and beliefs based on the scriptures than attend church services and be told how to think. Any statistics on the number of church-going folk who take daily bible readings?

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
From the Jamaica Observer...

Patriarch of the Twelve Tribes of Israel passes on
BASIL WALTERS, Observer staff reporter
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

VERNON Carrington, revered by members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel rastafari organisation as the Prophet Gad, passed away at his home last week. He was 69.

Prophet Gad, who has been ailing for sometime, is credited by some of his followers for resurrecting the biblical Twelve Tribes of Israel in Jamaica in 1969, three years after the state visit of late Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I in 1966.

Members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel - with branches in Ethiopia, Kenya, Ghana, England, New York, Germany, Sweden, New Zealand, Switzerland, Australia, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - see the Ethiopian emperor as Christ in his kingly character.

In the 1970s, the Twelve Tribes of Israel, was the most visible Rastafari "mansion", drawing its membership mainly from middle class Jamaican families, among them then was the present minister of national security Dr Peter Phillips and Bongo Jerry (Jerry Small), brother of former government minister, Hugh Small.

The Twelve Tribes of Israel was also the dominant force in the local music industry, having in its ranks the likes of Reggae superstars Bob Marley and Dennis Brown, Israel Vibration, Freddie McGregor, Fredlocks, Little Roy, Hugh Mudell, and deejays Brigadier Jerry, Sister Nancy and Sister Carol, among others.

According to executive member of the Twelve Tribes of Israel Horace Sangie Davis, who is also a musician, singer, songwriter, arranger and producer, Prophet Gad's legacy was in his teachings of Christ and repatriation, the encouragement of dialogue and non-violence.

With the passing of Gad, the Twelve Tribes of Israel will be run by an executive board, Davis told the Observer.

- waltersb@jamaicaobserver.com

Give thanks for the replies, and yes ALL religious texts are good reads.

Each One, Teach One.

Peace!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.