Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I like the system they have on YouTube comments where you can give comments a thumbs up or thumbs down. I think that would be cool to somehow implement that into threads and posts on MacRumors forums. I know there is already a way to rate threads, but no one ever does because it's not easy to get to. Rather than a star rating system, it would work like the one on YouTube. For example, if 50 people gave a thread a thumbs up, and 5 people gave a thread a thumbs down, the score would be +45. The thumbs-up and thumbs-down symbols would appear to the right of the thread title, like the current star ratings do. It would also work on posts inside of threads. I think this would easily let people know which is a good or bad thread, based on user opinion. Here's a (pretty bad) mockup of what it could look like:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 87

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Is the current thread-rating system even all that popular?

It's always been there:
20080219-k19ksjges1i5de57jrbcbg7sgt.jpg

Besides, is it a good idea to attach a "score" to a thread? I can't see what purpose it would have other than to upset the OP (who might be only seeking help, only to be voted against by rude forum members).

Like positives and negatives, I fear this is too personal to be of any use. :eek:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Those suggestions were for positive-only feedback, while this suggestion is for positive-or-negative feedback.

That's why I fear people would use it as a method of vengeance, retribution, retaliation (wow there are a lot of words for that aren't there?:eek:), etc.

I feel it too closely resembles the reputation systems on other forums.

If one doesn't like a thread, it is fairly easy to steer clear of it no? No need to "mark" it as such. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
That's sounds very similar to digg's rating system as well.
...Based on that, I would have to say it's a bad idea. From what I've seen, the best comments are usually hidden deep below while an off-topic or controversial comment is at the top. Plus, I can't say I see the need for such a system here at Macrumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.