Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Distributed.net has started it's RC5-72 project. For those that know nothing about it pop over to distributed.net to see what it's all about.

BTW there is a cash prize for the winner and the winners team, so I suggest arn start a macrumors team so he can $1000 dollars for the site.

Also G4 macs have a major advantage over PCs in RC5 challenges thanks to Altivec....

Get crunching to win money for macrumors and possibly yourself...

I'm getting through 4.2 million keys/sec on an Athlon. Anyone running a G4???

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
So, basically, this is one in a line of projects to show how inept security is by calculating keys until the encryption is broken?

Except for the money, it doesn't sound worth the time, and even then...I'd rather do folding@home. It does something positive.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku
Except for the money, it doesn't sound worth the time, and even then...I'd rather do folding@home. It does something positive.
I second that. RC5-xx projects are even worse than SETI!! Folding is at the top of my list.

coolmacguy

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2002
This was true for RC5-64 but unfortunately is no longer the case. Currently there is no optimized mac core for dnetc. Therefore it is ridiculously slow. I got 8500000 keys/sec with rc5-64, but am currently at 1500000 with 72. If someone would like to write an optimized core you can dl the source code here .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.