Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Hey, I have created an image of my system drive using the disk utility in OSX. I saved the image to an external hard drive. I want to be able to completely erase my system drive and replace it with this image that I have created but every time I try it gives me an error. Even when I boot up with the OSX system disk I can't get it to work. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong or is it even possible? If you have any ideas or help, let me know. Thanks.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
andybear said:
Hey, I have created an image of my system drive using the disk utility in OSX. I saved the image to an external hard drive. I want to be able to completely erase my system drive and replace it with this image that I have created but every time I try it gives me an error. Even when I boot up with the OSX system disk I can't get it to work. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong or is it even possible? If you have any ideas or help, let me know. Thanks.

I know copying your drive can be tricky... and to make bootable as well. But There is a free utility that does just that called Carbon Copy Cloner that does just that. It's what I use to back-up my drive to an external drive, works great and... its free!

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.