1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Reading from a file in Obj-C

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MacFan26, Nov 4, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Anyone know the best way to read text from a simple .txt file and store it in an NSString? I'm trying to do it like this:

NSString *data = [[NSString alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:mad:"data.txt"];

The data.txt file is in the same source folder as this code. I want to do something similar to reading from a file using Java's Scanner. Thanks for any help!

2. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

You need to use the correct path. Putting it in the same folder as the source won't make it end up in the application at all.

3. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

So, for a correct path, do I need something more than "./data.txt" ?

I'm using this to create my images, and it works just fine because they are in my resources folder for the project.

one = [NSImage imageNamed:mad:"one.jpg"];

4. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

*grumble*

Your current working directory varies with build style, settings, read/write, and phase of the moon. Provide an "Open..." dialog, or else use a semi-hardcoded path (using NSHomeDirectory() if necessary).

EDIT: oh, they're in your Resources folder? Read up on NSBundle.

5. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Indeed. NSBundle is your best friend for easy access to resources :)

6. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah this was for a very simple program where I just wanted to read input from one file. Thanks for letting me know about NSBundle. For now, I guess in XCode if you store something in the resources folder you need to go up two directories from your source to access it, this works fine for me:

NSString *data = [[NSString alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:mad:"../../data.txt"];

Sorry for the newbiness, I'm just asking..

7. macrumors 601

HiRez

Just use mainBundle: and pathToResource: and it'll take care of finding it for you.

Code:
    NSString *fileContents = [[NSString alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathToResource:"data" ofType:"txt"]];