Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Freedom of music choice has been launched by Real as an answer/attack to apple iTMS ...

"“Don’t Let Apple Break Your iPod!” Sign up*and tell the Apple you want the right to choose where you get your music." <<< Crap!!

Real music site

News about it...

I don't know how legal real is playing but IMO they are on the dirty side...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hehe, sounds about right. ;)

I think Real is wrong in what they're doing, but all this is going to do is allow people more choices to get their music, that's all. Its almost like how Apple made preview for us to view our .pdf files. Don't you think Adobe wants us to go through their own viewer instead of Apple's? Well of course, but hey, if Apple makes a better viewer than Adobe does, then...... ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I support Real on this issue, and I signed their petition. Here's what I said:

I don't live in the USA, so I'll end up buying from whichever store becomes available here in NZ first. I don't think it's fair that I should be forced to use a WMA player if Apple doesn't get here first.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Anybody else bored with Real's desperate attempts?! All Real wants to do is to get people using their proprietary DRM format instead of Apple's proprietary DRM format, poorly citing freedom of use for the consumer, whilst at the same time conveniently ignoring the fact that the iPod supports songs ripped from any CD and also supports the popular mp3 format.

It's obvious that Real's approach is nothing more than a publicity stunt and it reeks of desperation...it's almost enough to make you feel sorry for them... :rolleyes:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
No success...

Nermal said:
I support Real on this issue, and I signed their petition. Here's what I said:

Have you read all of them? :D :D ... seems to be, you're the only one supporting that ;) ... I'll write something in that petition :p

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
AmigoMac said:
Have you read all of them? :D :D ... seems to be, you're the only one supporting that ;) ... I'll write something in that petition :p

I just read the thread and wow, talk about a campaign backfiring! What's the betting that Real will erase the comments and still claim that loads of people signed up for their petition! :rolleyes:

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
AmigoMac said:
Freedom of music choice has been launched by Real as an answer/attack to apple iTMS ...

"“Don’t Let Apple Break Your iPod!” Sign up*and tell the Apple you want the right to choose where you get your music." <<< Crap!!

Real music site

News about it...

I don't know how legal real is playing but IMO they are on the dirty side...

Hahahahahah AHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahah hahah HAHAHHAH, *wipes tears from his eyes*. and Real really think that this will stop them getting sued by Apple?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Well I couldn't find the petition in 5 seconds or less, so I didn't sign it,

Abstract the petition is a really small text-link at the top left of the page just below the massive "Get Real Petition PRO for only $49.95/year" button ;).

Rock on Rob's FUD is just depressing.

I suggest no one wastes their bandwidth on clicking the link and giving them hits at all. Do you really need to read a page with "news" articles quoting anonymous posters on message boards about how terrible the iTMS is?

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Now theres a Team..

Y'know, REAL and SCO seem to be very similar scavengers, scrabbling to tear fetid hunks off the decaying carcass of the post-dot.com internet rather than find fresh meat.

I suggest a merger, perhaps they could take a few letters from each company and call themselves LOSER. :cool:

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
real is kinda pathetic, but apple is being rather short sighted with their "me only" additude. if they let people put music from other stores on it, the iPod has the real potential to be the digital "walkman" that it almost but not quite is. besides there still is a lot of music that iTMS doesn't have. it would be nice to shop around to get what you're actually looking for.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
Does anyone actualy feel annoyed how you can't play your music on more then 5 computer? A lot of the articles talking about this says how it limits it, i mean, you can deauthorize computer and such. And really i like apple's fairplay agreement, i think it is a great way for me to get my music legally.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Koree said:
Does anyone actualy feel annoyed how you can't play your music on more then 5 computer? A lot of the articles talking about this says how it limits it, i mean, you can deauthorize computer and such. And really i like apple's fairplay agreement, i think it is a great way for me to get my music legally.

Going from 3 to 5 is an improvement, most other services don't even let you put the music on a MP3 Player and is to do with DRM which everyone is using, so I think Apple has set up a good set of rules

painimies

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
That petition thread is hilarious. Check out this post from Jacko:

"59.Michael Jackson:
The best endorsment you could find is from Devo!? I can give you Tito's number, all you have to do is ask."

LOL

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Galser, we have a problem... Sorry, Real, your whole failure to get a fairplay licence was from your CEO's lack of tact. Apple has licenced Fairplay/iTunes (motorola, AOL, HP) and I'm sure they didn't get it by first threatening to go with "MS or else." Then they blame apple for being "closed..." I wouldn't do business with them either.

All I can say is, nice iPod site!

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
This limited time sale celebrates the Freedom of Choice made possible by the release of the free RealPlayer 10.5, the first product that integrates Real's revolutionary new Harmony(TM) Technology.

from yahoo

yup that technology is sooo revolutionary. real sure never stops their great innovation, apple beware...

</sarcasm>

aethier

oh and this....

Harmony Technology will be available later this year in other music products from RealNetworks including Real's market-leading Rhapsody® subscription service.

also from yahoo, unless they mean subscription based store market leader, and not market leader of all stores, i don';t know who they had to pay to get that in print.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hee hee! I love the signatures! Of course, if it ever is sent to Apple, Real will strip them and just send the names. Someone needs to archive them so they don't get tossed. God, what a dumb-ass move on Real's part to allow commentary.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Someone should hack that site, seriously :rolleyes:

I can't wait for Real to roll-out that service and then Apple releases iPod update which disables it! Muahaaha!

Edit: Can someone please make a counter-petition so we can all collect thousands of signatures against Real and their crappy products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.