Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tip-C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Im having problems viewing a streaming video in real player format on my mac.

im new to mac so keep it simple

when i try to watch the video, it says to download realplayer so i do, then i try again but it just keeps telling me that i need real player?!?!

What should i do?

thX

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Tip-C said:
when i try to watch the video, it says to download realplayer so i do, then i try again but it just keeps telling me that i need real player?!?!

I'm going to go out on a huge limb and ask a really stupid question. When you downloaded Realplayer, did you *install* it? If you did, describe how you did that to me.

Tip-C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
it actualy a russian site. and you have to be a registered user to access the movies.

its just a site where you can watch good quality streaming movies.

i think its a problem with the browser plug in or real player itself

Any ideas??

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Tip-C said:
i think its a problem with the browser plug in or real player

You should choose Installed Plug-ins from Safari's Help menu and scroll down the plug-ins window to confirm that RealPlayer's plug-in is installed.

It's most likely a problem on the website. Some sites incorrectly test for the player in ways that work only in Windows browsers. You need to contact the site's publisher and ask them to test their pages using a Mac.

Tip-C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
grobbins said:
You should choose Installed Plug-ins from Safari's Help menu and scroll down the plug-ins window to confirm that RealPlayer's plug-in is installed.

It's most likely a problem on the website. Some sites incorrectly test for the player in ways that work only in Windows browsers. You need to contact the site's publisher and ask them to test their pages using a Mac.

i did contact them they said they dont support mac althought they said some of their users use mac with IE and have no problems...so i try that but stil doesnt work?!?!?

What els can i do?

BTW: Plug in was installed in Safari

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, bear with us here....

First, make sure to check that inline Real content works on a page that is known to work in Safari on a Mac. Try this page:

http://news.com.com/1606-2-5853023.html

If I select Real, the streams work for me (they work with WMP too, FWIW).

Second, when you try to watch a stream on this Russian site of yours, does it download a file to your downloads folder? Check to see if the Safari download window pops up in the background. If you have the option to automatically execute "safe" files turned off, and a site does not implement inline playing properly, then the .ram or whatever file will be saved to your download directory and it will seem as if nothing happened.

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Verto said:
Never, ever, install RealPlayer onto your computer.
RealPlayer 10 is a native, drag-install Mac OS X application, written using Apple's Cocoa UI framework, based on the open-source Helix playback engine. It even offers playback of QuickTime content in full screen for free. There's no reason to avoid it on Mac OS X.

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Tip-C said:
i did contact them they said they dont support mac althought they said some of their users use mac with IE and have no problems...so i try that but stil doesnt work?!?!?

Try the site using the web browser Firefox.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
grobbins said:
RealPlayer 10 is a native, drag-install Mac OS X application, written using Apple's Cocoa UI framework, based on the open-source Helix playback engine. It even offers playback of QuickTime content in full screen for free. There's no reason to avoid it on Mac OS X.

I agree...I've had good experiences with Real under OS X. Much better than in Windows. Even WMP is well-behaved, although it won't run all WMV content.... :(

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Tip-C said:
I did try it with firefox...doesnt Work either
The link to the page containing the video itself would be helpful for determining what's wrong. The site may have been written to require Active-X, which works only in IE on Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.