Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I am using Office 2004 and must say that some parts of it really frustrate me. When I try and save an excel sheet the save as name field is hidden and you have to close a window to see it. Also at the bottom where it says save or cancel it's partially obscured by the icons at the bottom of the screen (the rubbish bin etc)

Also the formula bar isn't shown until you click view formula bar.

The same sort of thngs with office ie the vital buttons to save and print are hidden by the icons at the bottom-I never had this problem with windows.

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
Those buttons (save and print) should not be covered up unless your display resolution is extremely low. You might want to try setting your screen resolution higher, if your display supports it (you should be at least at 1024X768). If you can't increase your resolution you could turn on hiding on the Dock (that's what the area with the icons on the bottom of the screen is called). Both of these things are in your System Preferences.

Also, try the openoffice.org office suite if you haven't already. It is fully compatible with Office documents and works very similarly to Microsoft's offering. And it's free!

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Sorry for my rant, just frustrated at loosing an hours work as I accidently saved over an old document my new spreadsheet- I couldn't see where to name the new work. I will try the new resolution.

I find the dock gets in the way, particularly where the print save etc. Just getting use to it I guess.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is strange... unless as the other poster said, you have your resolution set way down for some reason. At 1024x768, you should have plenty of room for a save dialog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.