Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Now THIS would be a car, environmentally friendly or not, that I would buy and use.

Imagine. Rotary powered for quick revs and quick response on the pedal.
Ability to use gasoline for those times when you are not near a hydrogen station.
And with hydrogen, you get the additional power from intercooling.

WOW!!!

Whats the 0-60 and quartermile speed/time of this car when its running on H2?

I think a 2 rotor engine is like a 6 cylinder engine, with the weight and volume of a 4 cylinder engine. And its not that difficult to add another rotor to the package.

Hmm... how about if you both have gasoline and H2 available? Wouldn't that be like having a nitrous system?!!! :D

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Dippo said:
I don't think it looks that great, looks like every other Mazda out there.

Yes, but it runs on hydrogen, stupid. (unlike every other car out there.)

Next time, READ the article and dont just look at the pictures before posting a silly comment like that....sheesh.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Very nice.. I'm still waiting for the Fuel Cell VW Golf.. but that's just me.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
wdlove said:
It does look cool, but when are they going to make to make a "green" car for the older adult. Also for the vertically challenged!

i don't know your height, but you might want to try a VW New Beetle. my 6'6" friend was pleasantly surprised. you can get one w/ a TDi engine (diesel). mine gets 40/55 mpg. i've gotten 60+ on the highway at times. good acceleration, too.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wdlove said:
It does look cool, but when are they going to make to make a "green" car for the older adult. Also for the vertically challenged!

the new Prius ought to do. Lexus features, Toyota styling, hybrid system, and not bad price-wise. Basically, imagine a normal car (tho really high-tech) that does not burn gas unless it goes above 30mph. All of the city driving you do below that, all of the time sitting at stoplights... no gas used. This thing has a completely silent idle, which is cool :) (unless you're using your air conditioner, as the engine or batteries need to power that). If you do mostly highway driving, this won't save you *that* much gas; but if you do any amount of city driving, it's a boon.

Plus it's not ugly and cliché like the beetle.

paul

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Excuse the ignorance from a non-engineer, but this is still a internal combustion engine not fuel cell technology, right? I'm assuming that hydrogen burns a lot cleaner than gasoline in such an engine, but does it still put out emissions that are harmful to the environment? If so why go this route?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Sayhey said:
this is still a internal combustion engine not fuel cell technology, right? I'm assuming that hydrogen burns a lot cleaner than gasoline in such an engine, but does it still put out emissions that are harmful to the environment? If so why go this route?

if it's the same kind of rotary-wankel as was used in the rx-7, then it is indeed internal combustion. iirc, hydrogen engines produce NOx, but at lower concentrations than gasoline engines.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
zimv20 said:
i don't know your height, but you might want to try a VW New Beetle. my 6'6" friend was pleasantly surprised. you can get one w/ a TDi engine (diesel). mine gets 40/55 mpg. i've gotten 60+ on the highway at times. good acceleration, too.

I'm 6' 8" I haven't been in one of the new VW Beetles. But did drive one of the older one's a '65 model and a '75 model. For the price they couldn't be beat. They were great around town and good in the snow. I had plenty of head room. The problem was the my knee was almost up against the dash board. Most of my height is in my legs. Amazingly even in something like a Cadillac, I could use more leg room.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
wdlove said:
I'm 6' 8" I haven't been in one of the new VW Beetles.

if you get a chance, try sitting in a New Beetle. i'd be interested to know if you find it comfortable. dunno if he still drives it, but i know Shaq bought one a few years ago.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sayhey said:
Excuse the ignorance from a non-engineer, but this is still a internal combustion engine not fuel cell technology, right? I'm assuming that hydrogen burns a lot cleaner than gasoline in such an engine, but does it still put out emissions that are harmful to the environment? If so why go this route?

It is indeed a hydrogen combustion engine, which is certainly atypical as most hydrogen systems seem to be leaning toward fuel cells. Pure hydrogen combustion doesn't produce any organic or nitrogenous pollutants, though it does producea greenhouse gas (water): H2 + O2 -> H2O. It's not clear what the widespread production of water vapor would do, but it is certainly much more desireable than carbon dioxide.

Now of course, that's in an ideal system. I don't know the particulars of combusting hydrogen in an engine, so there may be other pollutants produced. Someone mentioned NOx...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
pooky said:
It is indeed a hydrogen combustion engine, which is certainly atypical as most hydrogen systems seem to be leaning toward fuel cells. Pure hydrogen combustion doesn't produce any organic or nitrogenous pollutants, though it does producea greenhouse gas (water): H2 + O2 -> H2O. It's not clear what the widespread production of water vapor would do, but it is certainly much more desireable than carbon dioxide.

Now of course, that's in an ideal system. I don't know the particulars of combusting hydrogen in an engine, so there may be other pollutants produced. Someone mentioned NOx...

The problem is hydrogen production, to produce serious quantity pollutes as much, or more according to some people, pollution as an internal combustion does. So the push for hydrogen cars is counterproductive, until better methods of hydrogen production are found... which could be a ways off...

paul

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
pooky said:
H2O.[...]Now of course, that's in an ideal system. I don't know the particulars of combusting hydrogen in an engine, so there may be other pollutants produced. Someone mentioned NOx...

as you imply, the implementation would be short of ideal. iirc, the NOx is produced because of the aspiration involving outside air.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
agreenster said:
Yes, but it runs on hydrogen, stupid. (unlike every other car out there.)

Next time, READ the article and dont just look at the pictures before posting a silly comment like that....sheesh.

Um, actually, you should re-read it. It is a dual mode motor. It will run on Gasoline, or hydrogen.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Sayhey said:

H2 combines with O2 to make steam/water as the combustion byproduct. The high temperatures in the engine, along with the O2 and N2 in the air makes the NOx compounds that are considered pollutants.

Now, if we can only make H2 from H2O using nothing but solar power (ie plants with chlorophyll), we'd be set. Genetically modified, anyone?

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
paulwhannel said:
The problem is hydrogen production, to produce serious quantity pollutes as much, or more according to some people, pollution as an internal combustion does. So the push for hydrogen cars is counterproductive, until better methods of hydrogen production are found... which could be a ways off...

paul

Same with fuel cells using hydrogen.

TANSTAAFL... err... TANSTAFE :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The demand accelerates for Toyota hybrid

By Royal Ford, Globe Staff, 3/10/2004

Claire Boudreau, a self-described environmentalist, knew from the moment the concept was introduced that she wanted a hybrid gasoline/electric automobile -- once the kinks had been worked out of the technology.

So, the Ayer woman marched into Acton Toyota on Oct. 1, as soon as the lighter, more efficient, 2004 Prius hit dealerships, convinced she was near the head of the line.

At best, she was near the end of a national line that formed even before the car appeared in a showroom. And it is a line that continues to grow -- one so long that those waiting for 2004 models may have to be patient until the 2005 models roll off the assembly line. It has left frustrated buyers and dealers across the country struggling to keep up with the public's hunger for a car whose popularity has outrun its production.

"Demand has gone through the roof," said Toyota spokesman Wade Hoyt.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/03/10/the_demand_accelerates_for_toyota_hybrid/

JamesDPS

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
Irvine, CA
Anyone know how power using H2 compares to petroleum fuel? I like the direction cars are going in now: clean without being an obviously different car, but the RX8 is already too slow as it is... I was excited before they came out originally, but that faded very quickly. If this isn't as powerful as the normal model, what's the point of trying to make it look like a sports car?

Personally I'm stoked about the Lexus RX400h (a hybrid that combines a 3.2L V6 with two electric motors to produce torque and hp of a 4L v8, hence the name, while getting something like 35 mpg and producing incredibly low emissions). Also, I heard a rumor somewhere that Mazda might bring back the RX7, which would be awesome. I'm a fan of the rotary engine, and the old RX7s are sweet (twin turbo does 0-60 in 5.2, not too shabby), but all the new cars are way too slow (I like the look of the Mazda 6, for example, but they top out at something like 180hp or something... WEAK SAUCE!)

So for now I think perfect combo is a big comfy hybrid (like the lexus) and a real sports car that does it the old fashioned way for your weekends :D

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
wdlove said:
The demand accelerates for Toyota hybrid

It has left frustrated buyers and dealers across the country struggling to keep up with the public's hunger for a car whose popularity has outrun its production.

"Demand has gone through the roof," said Toyota spokesman Wade Hoyt.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/03/10/the_demand_accelerates_for_toyota_hybrid/

Great. So, with demand outpacing supply, prices for the Toyota hybrid would be high. I guess I keep on waiting.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
JamesDPS said:
Anyone know how power using H2 compares to petroleum fuel? I like the direction cars are going in now: clean without being an obviously different car, but the RX8 is already too slow as it is... I was excited before they came out originally, but that faded very quickly. If this isn't as powerful as the normal model, what's the point of trying to make it look like a sports car?

Hydrogen Economy
-Compressed H2 has less energy per unit volume than gasoline (octane)
-1kg of H2 by weight has about the same amount of energy as 1 gallon of gasoline.

Chapter 4
Consider again reaction 4.1, which involves only hydrogen and oxygen atoms. When one mole of hydrogen molecules (two grams) combines with half a mole of oxygen molecules (16 grams) to form one mole of water molecules (18 grams), the energy given o? turns out to be 242,000 joules, assuming that the water comes out as a gas rather than as a liquid. (If the water comes out as a liquid, then the total energy released is greater: 286,000 joules.) Since there are 500 moles of hydrogen gas in a kilogram, this means that burning a kilogram of hydrogen gas releases 500
times as much energy, or 121 million joules (again, assuming that the water comes out as a gas, as is usually the case in a combustion process).
2 grams of H2 is 242 kilojoule. 1 kilogram of H2 is 500*242 kilojoule, or 121 megajoules of energy.
1 gallon of Gasoline has 121 megajoules of energy.
1 cubic foot is 7.481 gallons.
Gasoline is 46.81 lbs per cubic foot.
2.2046lbs to a kilogram.
Liquid H2 is 4.23 lb. per cubic foot.

To make the math easier, lets say a typical car has a 14.962 gallon fuel tank of gasoline (thats 2 cubic feet). (93.62 lbs of gasoline)
That means for the same energy, you want 14.962 kilograms of H2.
14.962kg*2.2046lb/kg = 32.9862lbs
32.9862lbs/4.23lb/ft^3 = 7.800 cubic feet
Okay...
93.62 lbs of gasoline == 32.9862 lbs of liquid H2
14.962 gallons of gasoline == 58.336 gallons of liquid H2

Fuel injectors are usually rated as cubic feet per minute (CFM), so to keep the horsepower the same, you need to inject 3.9 times more liquid H2 than gasoline to get the same OOOMPH. Do they make bigger higher flow injectors, sure. But you would also need a fuel tank thats almost 4 times as big!!! I think you are going to be driving a SUV-sized car, for that much liquid H2! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.