Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Hellooo,

Is anyone else battery conscious when it comes to their tech? e.g. phones? laptops etc?

When would you recommend charging your MacBook Pro 2016?

- When it's died and do a full battery cycle?
- Charge when using it?
- or charge little and often?

What would you recommend? Or what do you do currently with your new Pro?

Currently brought the MacBook Pro 13" nTB. :)

Incisus

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2016
Lithium-ion batteries don't have memory. My advice to you, as a techie myself, is to use the device how you want to use it.

Allow it to fully discharge once a month, other than that, just enjoy it. It will last you many years to come.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
For these recent products, I have never come across (Either myself or others) a problem of using the device how I wish. Discharging it once a month? Sure. And if I don't, and hell, use it charged for a week straight? No problem.

Reactions: Incisus

Incisus

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2016
For these recent products, I have never come across (Either myself or others) a problem of using the device how I wish. Discharging it once a month? Sure. And if I don't, and hell, use it charged for a week straight? No problem.
I used to get hung up about preserving my devices battery. It's not worth the hassle for what is arguably negligible gains.

OP, you have an awesome device, use it how you wish and enjoy the hell out of it :).

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
I used to get hung up about preserving my devices battery. It's not worth the hassle for what is arguably negligible gains.

OP, you have an awesome device, use it how you wish and enjoy the hell out of it :).

I think I read somewhere that in the long run, you lose maybe 1-3% more battery health? Yeah, I would gladly trade those for the ease of mind of doing whatever the hell I want :)

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Better Battery on App Store. It will recommend you when to plug in and when to stay on battery to save cycles. Really cool if you keep mac plugged.

Plus you get percentage and battery life in one icon. Another thing is that it is very light on using CPU resources = will not eat your battery (like battery health 2 which is a resources hog)

https://itunes.apple.com/pl/app/better-battery-keeps-your/id1028815744?mt=12

Recommend when to charge Pro | MacRumors Forums Safari, Today at 19.35.43.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DeApp1e

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Lithium-ion batteries don't have memory. My advice to you, as a techie myself, is to use the device how you want to use it.

Allow it to fully discharge once a month, other than that, just enjoy it. It will last you many years to come.

I was thinking that - Just needed a confirmation really, or maybe some tips? I was worried about my iPhone battery, so now I'm on the Upgrade Programme and thrash the battery life out of it.

Thanks for the information - I plan to take this MacBook out and about with me, so I guess I'll build up a few cycles.

Thanks for the reassurance - I guess because Apple don't provide much information on their battery's or 'tips' to save battery life, it worries me that I might not be getting the battery life I expect.

Just run on battery when you need to be portable, and otherwise leave it plugged it. There is no need to do anything else. Do not discharge it intentionally as that only adds additional charge cycles and makes the battery wear out sooner.

Here is some info from Apple that may help you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check these out :) Much appreciated man - I'll be taking this out and about with me, so I guess I'll build up some cycles greatly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.