Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secksthoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Since owning my ipad, it never leaves my side. So the perfect app would be a To-Do app! I'm currently trying 2Do Lite. So far it's great but any recommendations/opinions?

I'm willing to hear out on those expensive $20+ apps out there, but definitely want more insight before taking the plunge.

Thanks!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I use Omnifocus on my iPad my iPhone and my Mac Pro. I am very happy with it as it provides a unique way to manage my tasks and projects. It works extremely well, syncs with almost anything you can think of, is very stable and on the iPad very polished. It uses the principle of Getting Things Done. You start by creating an action on your Omnifocus Inbox. You can select start and end time, put the action to a context (you can create many contacts, hierarchically too), assign it to a project, or even make it a subtask to another task.
There is a context view where you can see all available actions grouped by context. The project view shows all projects with it's associated tasks. There is also a Perspectives view, where you can see tasks that end soon, that are overdue, etc.

The is also another great feature: Review. You can have weekly reviews of your projects and see if sth is missing or needs attention.

I have also used Pocket Informant's Task feature, but I really prefer Omnifocus, even if it is so expensive.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
2Do is the best, no need to go for any of the more expensive options out there. I also like ToDo by Appigo. The interface looks like an expensive leather planner, and the font is big and easy to see. Doesn't have quite as many options as 2Do, however.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I use Things primarily because I already had it on the Mac and iPhone. But if I were buying new today I would definitely get ToDo by Appigo.

secksthoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I also agree that 2Do is definitely the best. But they also win points for letting me try it before I bought the full version.

ToDo also looks promising but the interface looked cheesy in my honest opinion.

But thanks for the insight everyone!

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I've been using Zenbe Lists for a couple of years now, and like it a lot

- lets you keep multiple lists
- syncs automatically with the cloud
- you can access your lists via web-based interface, as well as iOS app
- universal app, takes advantage of iPad screen
- simple UI
- can create shared list (let other people share or edit a specified list with you)
- easily embed any of your lists in a webpage or blog

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I'm another who uses Things for its simplicity and its looks. As another mentioned, it works well with Things on the Mac and iPhone with the wi-fi sync.

jacyntho

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
I use Things primarily because I already had it on the Mac and iPhone. But if I were buying new today I would definitely get ToDo by Appigo.

Another vote for Appigo Todo, a beautifull UI, and now with a new synchro system, ToDo Online

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I like notifyme2 because it gives you highly configurable settings to have the app buzz or alert you at times when certain tasks are due. And it it also has snooze settings to keep reminding you if you haven't completed the task.

enrvuk

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
Like Petvas I use Omni Focus on MBP, iPad and iPhone.

It's a different kind of application to a to do list. To really get the most out of it you'd need to adopt the principles behind GTD.

As Petvas touched on contexts are a key part. You categorise items not only by the project they pertaint to, but also to a context you complete them in.

For my part contexts indude: Work PC, Home Mac, Supermarket, Free, Boss, Phone. You can then Focus on your current context to show actions for that context.

Depending on the thing you do, office or study, having a personal organisation system is a way to make yourself dramatically more productive. Omni Focus can help you create that system for yourself.

I've also used Things before I got Omni Focus. If all you want is a check list imo it's a good choice.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am currently using OmniFocus on my iPad and iPhone, unfortunately there is no PC version otherwise I'd vbe using it there as well. at first I was taken back at the price of the iPad version, but after reading many of the reviews and seeing the video on the OmniGroup website I went and bought it. It is a FANTASTIC product and since then bought the iPhone version as well.

I also use ToDo by Appigo on both my iPhone and and iPad. I've used this app a few years now on the iPhone and got it on the iPad the day it came out. It has many great features and it will not disappoint. It syncs with ToDo Online as well as Toodledo so I can even view/manage my tasks on my PC. There is also a sync program available from them that will sync with Outlook, but as an avid Outlook user I haven't really tried that yet. I am happy with the way it is set up and to be honest since getting OmniFocus most of my task planning has been through OmniFocus.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I use Omnifocus on my iPad my iPhone and my Mac Pro. I am very happy with it as it provides a unique way to manage my tasks and projects. It works extremely well, syncs with almost anything you can think of, is very stable and on the iPad very polished. It uses the principle of Getting Things Done. You start by creating an action on your Omnifocus Inbox. You can select start and end time, put the action to a context (you can create many contacts, hierarchically too), assign it to a project, or even make it a subtask to another task.
There is a context view where you can see all available actions grouped by context. The project view shows all projects with it's associated tasks. There is also a Perspectives view, where you can see tasks that end soon, that are overdue, etc.

The is also another great feature: Review. You can have weekly reviews of your projects and see if sth is missing or needs attention.

I have also used Pocket Informant's Task feature, but I really prefer Omnifocus, even if it is so expensive.

OmniFocus is my most used app for the past 2 years. Whether on my MBP or iPad...this is truly the best. Yes its $40, but well worth it.

My life would be in shambles if it wasn't for OF.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just a question for those of you who are using these programs. Do you use them for work, home or both? If you are using them for work, what type of work are you doing and how is it playing a part in getting what you want done?

I have been looking at the OF one for a while now. I am in the creative field and was wondering if this would be something that could help me in managing say 4-5 projects? I don't want it to be a data entry heavy application where I am spending more time entering stuff then doing stuff? Does this make sense?

Just curious as to what everyone is using these programs for.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Just a question for those of you who are using these programs. Do you use them for work, home or both? If you are using them for work, what type of work are you doing and how is it playing a part in getting what you want done?

I have been looking at the OF one for a while now. I am in the creative field and was wondering if this would be something that could help me in managing say 4-5 projects? I don't want it to be a data entry heavy application where I am spending more time entering stuff then doing stuff? Does this make sense?

Just curious as to what everyone is using these programs for.

GTD Methodology, which OF runs on states that life is all work and play...essentially you put everything in your OF system.

In mine I have projects for drafting reports, essays; forms to fill out for work, upcoming dinners, vacations in a few months, cleaning the car, washing the dishes, yoga, jogging..playing the piano, going to the spa, groceries list, books to read...........EVERYTHING.

This methodology allows me to keep every single little and big thing out of my head so I can be present in the moment with whatever i'm working on.

It's been a big stress reliver and honestly I think as little as possible.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
GTD Methodology, which OF runs on states that life is all work and play...essentially you put everything in your OF system.

In mine I have projects for drafting reports, essays; forms to fill out for work, upcoming dinners, vacations in a few months, cleaning the car, washing the dishes, yoga, jogging..playing the piano, going to the spa, groceries list, books to read...........EVERYTHING.

This methodology allows me to keep every single little and big thing out of my head so I can be present in the moment with whatever i'm working on.

It's been a big stress reliver and honestly I think as little as possible.

Interesting. Thank you very much for explaining this. So you actually mix in both work and non work items. This is actually pretty good.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.