Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I honestly don't get why Dropbox cares so much about people on older OSes using their program. They should give us props for figuring out a way to get around this, not attempting to shut us down. Anyhow, I have faith that @Czo ad everyone else here will be able to get around this once again

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I honestly don't get why Dropbox cares so much about people on older OSes using their program. They should give us props for figuring out a way to get around this, not attempting to shut us down. Anyhow, I have faith that @Czo ad everyone else here will be able to get around this once again
Czo's fix is already specifying a later version. So, somehow Dropbox is seeing past that (although not the system version). Hopefully it's not something that can't be worked around.

Reactions: Salumbre

NathanJHill

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Tiny update:

I've tried a couple of things - "touching" the Dropbox.app to show it being created later than it actually is. No luck.

Also, I reinstalled Little Snitch (v2.5) and tried blocking some pings to the home server to see if that might work. So far, no luck - may keep trying that out, but it's not likely to bear fruit since it must trigger something internal when it has not been updated.

I'm open to other ideas.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Tiny update:

I've tried a couple of things - "touching" the Dropbox.app to show it being created later than it actually is. No luck.

Also, I reinstalled Little Snitch (v2.5) and tried blocking some pings to the home server to see if that might work. So far, no luck - may keep trying that out, but it's not likely to bear fruit since it must trigger something internal when it has not been updated.

I'm open to other ideas.
I can't help on this one. Coding this stuff is beyond me. Although I didn't think to try Little Snitch.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Awesome!

By more testing do you mean you need to do more testing or you need volunteers to test for you?

I need time, because i want to wait the deadline. The patched 3.2.9 version seems to fully working with faked version, but i don't know what happening, when the deadline comes, so i'm waiting for it. This patched version will be published after other older versions stopped working.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I need time, because i want to wait the deadline. The patched 3.2.9 version seems to fully working with faked version, but i don't know what happening, when the deadline comes, so i'm waiting for it. This patched version will be published after other older versions stopped working.
Cool, thanks Czo!

The Dropbox users of the PowerPC community are grateful to you for all your hard work on this!

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015

FWIW, Dropbox has been showing warnings for weeks now, but it keeps on working. First it would say that I should upgrade in 6 days, but that was like 2 weeks ago. Now it says 3 days. I have a feeling it'll probably keep on working.

I highly doubt that they are wasting time and resources to actively unhook users, since they had previously left those users out in the cold precisely because they wanted to save time and resources. Just my two cents.

Great work, Czo! Keep it up!:apple:

Reactions: eyoungren

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015

Sorry, duplicate post.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
FWIW, Dropbox has been showing warnings for weeks now, but it keeps on working. First it would say that I should upgrade in 6 days, but that was like 2 weeks ago. Now it says 3 days. I have a feeling it'll probably keep on working.

I highly doubt that they are wasting time and resources to actively unhook users, since they had previously left those users out in the cold precisely because they wanted to save time and resources. Just my two cents.

I'm going to note your statement in post #1.

Pete Worst

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2015
Finland
Uhh, well for me it actually stopped working before my given deadline, about a week ago... Trying to update gives me "Update your computer
To download Dropbox, you’ll need Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or higher." Suggestions..?
(I might start using Unison.)

Still, thanks to Czo for all his efforts.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Today it's the final day for unpatched 3.2.9?
If that is directed to me, I'm not sure. My Quicksilver is waiting on a SATA card right now so hasn't been on in about a week.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Downloaded "Dropbox.app.zip" (from the link in this thread) today then tested it on a machine that has never had Dropbox installed. The app starts fine, enter my info and when trying to login a message about an old version is displayed and you can't proceed.

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015

Though well after the supposed deadline, my Dropbox finally stopped working, demanded and upgrade, and sent me to their page that says that my computer is unsupported. The message actually stays on and has to be force-quit through Activity Monitor.

So it's time to eat my words. They are actively going after us, and unduly dedicating the time and resources they purport not to have to prevent PPC users from accessing their own stuff. This is not a big deal for me personally, since my working Macs are mostly Intel, and I have never paid a single penny to Dropbox (I took advantage of a couple of promotions and have sufficient storage for my work and personal needs). But I find it disrespectful to heavy users who have paid them good money over the years for extra storage and now are cut off from it. And I also find disingenuous that, instead of just dropping support, they are actively going after PPC users. I smell a rat...
(And yes, I know that PPC users can access their Dropbox storage through a browser, but that's hardly the point.)

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
The patched version seems to working fine :) i'm workin on to release it. please be patient
@Czo: thank you for you great work!
Unfortunately it may end as a cat&mouse-game until all your energy of keeping dropbox alive for PPC will be exhausted.
Reminds me about the way Apple on and on kicked out Palm/webOS from getting access to iTunes.
Like Alumbre I didn't pay a cent for my usage of Dropbox (I would do if the pricing plan would be more reasonable.)
Maybe PPC users do not add to any Dropbox-income so they don't spend any effort to support PPC anymore.
Lucky, that for the old machines webDAV still is a good solution.

rschletty

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2015
Anyone can test it? The upgraded zip can be found on the post #118, but it's the url again: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fzik0j5a0nmr2x0/AABUZvbdkHxMrdVkJTwoeAZEa?dl=0
Czo, your patch is working very well on my Mac G5 PPC tower.

I appreciate that your newly patched version uses the older Dropbox interface which allows access to Dropbox preferences. Previously, we had to hold down Option key while clicking on Dropbox icon in top menu bar in order to access the older Dropbox interface. [correction: After reboot, the newer Dropbox interface appeared when clicking on DB icon in top menu. The gear remains inoperative. So, I am back to using the Option key to pull up old interface so I can access DB prefs.]

I came back to this thread today because I had finally reached day 0 of the warning countdown and Dropbox upgrade prompts were stacking up on my screen. I had to dismiss at least a dozen upgrade prompt windows. It is extremely troubling that Dropbox is so aggressively trying to block their desktop client in Mac OS X Leopard (released late 2007), while continuing to support older Windows XP (released late 2001).

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Czo, your patch is working very well on my Mac G5 PPC tower.

I appreciate that your newly patched version uses the older Dropbox interface which allows access to Dropbox preferences. Previously, we had to hold down Option key while clicking on Dropbox icon in top menu bar in order to access the older Dropbox interface. [correction: After reboot, the newer Dropbox interface appeared when clicking on DB icon in top menu. The gear remains inoperative. So, I am back to using the Option key to pull up old interface so I can access DB prefs.]

I came back to this thread today because I had finally reached day 0 of the warning countdown and Dropbox upgrade prompts were stacking up on my screen. I had to dismiss at least a dozen upgrade prompt windows. It is extremely troubling that Dropbox is so aggressively trying to block their desktop client in Mac OS X Leopard (released late 2007) users, while continuing to support older Windows XP (released late 2001).
Is this the Richard S. from the thread on the Dropbox forum?

In either case welcome to Macrumors! I would be the Erik Y. in that Dropbox thread.

Glad to see Czo was able to help and hope it keeps working for all of us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.