Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Anyone care to speculate how Project Infinitie might affect us PowerPC users (in light of @Czo's patch)?

Project Infinite will enable users to seamlessly and securely access all their Dropbox files from the desktop, regardless of how much space they have available on their hard drives. Everything in the company’s Dropbox that you’re given access to, whether it’s stored locally or in the cloud, will show up in Dropbox on your desktop. If it’s synced locally, you’ll see the familiar green checkmark, while everything else will have a new cloud icon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Uhhhh…@Czo!

LittleSnapper.png

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
The zip has been upgraded! I think, if the original dropbox protocol remains in use (this new features only available from 10.8, and 10.6 is still supported) this hack still remaining in a working state.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The zip has been upgraded! I think, if the original dropbox protocol remains in use (this new features only available from 10.8, and 10.6 is still supported) this hack still remaining in a working state.
Thanks Czo! Will download and reinstall again tonight!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Works perfect! Thanks @Czo!

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
:( OK, I'm back with bad news: He Who Must Not Be Named has stricken again!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 198

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I just came across this:

What's incredible (apart from Dropbox working on a 68030 Amiga) is that the program has been approved and cleared by Dropbox - obviously they have no issues with 25+ years old computers remaining in the loop....

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Seems it's down again... I have that horrible blue "Update your Dropbox" window appearing each time I launch Dropbox :/

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Seems it's down again... I have that horrible blue "Update your Dropbox" window appearing each time I launch Dropbox :/
Have you updated to the latest version Czo made?

I'm not having any issues.
[doublepost=1464618330][/doublepost]
Anyone can confirm this?
Cannot confirm this. Dropbox is functioning just fine for me. Wondering if the user has not updated to your latest version.

Reactions: sawpits

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
OK sorry, it work now. Re-installed it from the one linked on the previous page, and all ok now.
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience . I have too many PPC macs :) , and this is the one I had not updated with the last patched version apparently... though I was sure I had...strange.

Anyway, Thanks again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
@Czo Dropbox made another change today with their iOS release. I'm showing the 'Old version' warning again…

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
How many days left? I don't know when can make the fix.
28 days. The new update for iOS was released today. I am noticing that when they do an iOS update that introduces new features it breaks on our PowerPC Macs.
[doublepost=1466623750][/doublepost]
My DB is still working - did check it just now...
I quite and restarted it. Still have the warning. Sometimes it takes a while to push. US had an iOS update to Dropbox today. Probably hasn't hit Germany yet.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
US had an iOS update to Dropbox today. Probably hasn't hit Germany yet.
Oh - I see bad things coming ...
At home, there's no problem: just make a >10.5 mac a "dropbox-server" by file-sharing...
On the go hook into that mac with TeamViewer and transfer files or move them to any available webDAV-account or mail the file to yourself. Or use the browser...
But that's not the same as with real Dropbox.
The future changes in Dropbox with file-alias on the computer and the files on the server would be the ultimate solution for old PPC-hardware: download file on request with no local space on the harddrive beeing consumed to the all the Dropbox folders.
Too bad, the PPC will be left behind in future...
That makes me a big fan of webDAV for old macOS and PPC-OSX :)
But: it's not the same :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Oh - I see bad things coming ...
At home, there's no problem: just make a >10.5 mac a "dropbox-server" by file-sharing...
On the go hook into that mac with TeamViewer and transfer files or move them to any available webDAV-account or mail the file to yourself. Or use the browser...
But that's not the same as with real Dropbox.
The future changes in Dropbox with file-alias on the computer and the files on the server would be the ultimate solution for old PPC-hardware: download file on request with no local space on the harddrive beeing consumed to the all the Dropbox folders.
Too bad, the PPC will be left behind in future...
That makes me a big fan of webDAV for old macOS and PPC-OSX :)
But: it's not the same :(
The original reason for this thread was to post a contingency plan. Then Nathan Hill and Czo came along with better solutions. I trust Czo will fix this (again) but if he cannot then at least he and Nathan have given us all another year.

If that does happen, I'll just go back to the solution I originally posted which was to share the Dropbox folder from my MacPro at work. It's on 24/7 no matter what and I can connect to it from anywhere. Just drop my files in and the they reflect up to Dropbox. I created a Fluid app at the time for easy access to the website if I need to do anything more on my PowerPC Macs.

Hopefully Czo can save us all again though!

Reactions: bobesch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.