Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zforrester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
I was wondering if there are any apps out there that use isight to just record video, like a security camera type thing.
any suggestions?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
iMovie can do that.

Eats up massive amounts of HD space, though. Maybe there's a better program out there for this purpose that records in a lower quality to conserve HD space.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
zforrester said:
I was wondering if there are any apps out there that use isight to just record video, like a security camera type thing.
any suggestions?

EvoCam allows you to record. A few other applications are out there. The article at http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/09/23/more_isight.html and the first two linked pages in that article give an overview of some of the main non-chat iSight applications.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
The iVeSeen application looks pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with it? It would be nice to have an inexpensive video recording application I could use to send "video mail" to my kids while on long business trips.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
emw said:
The iVeSeen application looks pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with it? It would be nice to have an inexpensive video recording application I could use to send "video mail" to my kids while on long business trips.

iVe used it. :p I no longer have it, but it was great when I did! You can change the quality to a preset "e-mail" setting so that the files would be small enough to e-mail! All the programs Boinx makes are awesome...especially iStopMotion!

Oh yeah, for for iVeZeen...at $14.99, you can't beat it!

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
QuickTime Broadcaster can capture and encode to all the QT codecs, instead of capturing to DV (which is like 13 GB/hour) with iMovie.

Gives you nice small files in one step, if you don't want to buy QT Pro.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
ITASOR said:
iVe used it. :p
Nice ;)

Glad you liked it. As you say, for a mere $15, it seems like a nice thing to have around. Thanks for the input.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Doesn't appear that GCam is still supported or available :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.