Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Defender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I’d really like to get some old files that I deleted from my Mac. More specifically I would like to recover some old pictures I used to have on my computer but got rid of because I ended up printing them instead, which of course I lost. How can an average Joe get old deleted information from a computer? Is there really a simple way to do it or can only a professional do it?

MD

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I’d really like to get some old files that I deleted from my Mac. More specifically I would like to recover some old pictures I used to have on my computer but got rid of because I ended up printing them instead, which of course I lost. How can an average Joe get old deleted information from a computer? Is there really a simple way to do it or can only a professional do it?

MD

How long ago did you delete the pictures?

If it was a long time ago then i would say they are almost certainty gone. If it was today or yesterday then there are some programs worth trying. Such programs include Data Rescue II but generally they aren't free and do not guarantee success.

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
I purchased a tool called FileSalvage It can do the job, but the similar constraints apply that the previous poster mentioned. On older deletes it will be very hit or miss as the space could have been rewritten by now. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.