Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJinDetroit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2014
Using 10.9.5 on iMac

Getting a recurring pop-up for something called "RarGenie". Launches the installer and pop-up shuts down when I quit the installer process in Activity Monitor. How can I find the file that is launching the installer? There is no file called RarGenie or Genie. Thank in advance for your help.

Rar_Genie.png

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
You have what is called "Adware," on your computer.

I will tell you how to remove it, but FIRST, you must do the following:

1.) Go to any chain pharmacy or grocery store.
2.) Purchase an anonymous MoneyPak for.... let's say $100.00. No....for you, my friend, $50.00 will be fine.
3.) Send it to me at my anonymous address in Bermuda.
4.) When I receive it, I will come over to your house and fix for you.

Okay okay, if you don't have $50.00, you can do this instead:

Navigate to:
YourUserName --> Library --> LaunchAgents

And look in that LaunchAgents directory and look for anything with the word GENIE in it and remove the d**n thing now! :D

Then....

Open up System Preferences, Click on "General" and then make SURE that "Anywhere" is NOT checked.

And, in the future, make sure to download only things you totally trust.

My friend, for you, I have some special software..... LOL

JJinDetroit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2014
Thanks for your reply

In neither LaunchAgent folder ( >Library or >System>Library ) is there a file called genie, rargenie or anything like it. Any other suggestions?

And as for the money I didn't have anything smaller than a $500 bill (sorry!) so I went ahead and faxed that.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Thank you, I received the fax, but because you exceeded the requested amount, I will need an additional $50 (admin fee).

Just to be sure, please double-check that you looked in all three libraries:

"YourUserName --> Library --> LaunchAgents"
"HardDriveName --> Library -- LaunchAgents"
"HardDriveName --> System --> Library -- LaunchAgents"

I would even use Terminal, and look for invisible files!

Like this:

1.) Launch terminal.
2.) type the following line, and then hit Enter
cd ~/Library/LaunchAgents
3.) Then, while in that directory, type the following line and hit Enter
ls -ainrst

In my Library, I only have 2 launch agents:
1.) some SharedAgent services plist
2.) google.keystone thingy

Finally, I would download and install an app called "Find Any File" (it's the absolutest bestest coolest find-file thing, because it's SIMPLE like the one from back in the OS 9 days) and just do a search for a file like this:
name......contains......genie

And then in the list that appears, you GOTTA see SOMETHIN' in there that is a *genie and outta place.

Post back! You got me curious now!

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
RarGenie is associated with the Genio ad-injection software. It is very easily removed. Apple even has a webpage dedicated to removing it. Its towards the bottom of the page. Here it is: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

If you are new at this or unsure, read the steps before trying them out. Its basically using "Go to Folder" option in Finder to paste in the lines at the Apple website and then putting those folders/files in the Trash.

Once you complete those steps, I suggest also looking for the following file Apple either missed, or forgot and remove it:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieo.completer.ltvbit.plist

Then reset Safari/Chrome/Firefox settings and plugins to how you want them. Restart your Mac.

Should be good to go after that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Using 10.9.5 on iMac

Getting a recurring pop-up for something called "RarGenie". Launches the installer and pop-up shuts down when I quit the installer process in Activity Monitor. How can I find the file that is launching the installer? There is no file called RarGenie or Genie. Thank in advance for your help.

Try this... hold the shift key when booting to boot to safe mode. This will prevent any login or startup items (like this adware) from launching.

Now download and run this free adware removal software to get rid of the adware. It should popup a report showing what was removed.

Restart afterward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.