Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
For reasons that have never been quite clear, my wife retains tech product packaging for a while. Now and then she'll stack up a batch of boxes hoping that I'll disassemble and flatten them and remove non-recyclable material and then bundle up the cardboard for recycling.

Here's this mornings batch, unbundled as of yet.

IMG_5997.jpeg

Most manufacturers seem to use glue to hold the boxes together and often use plastic or foam inserts to cradle their precious contents. Needless to say, all the glue and plastic make disassembly more difficult than it might be.

On the other hand, some manufacturers have developed the ability to design packaging that uses no glue, no plastic and no foam. This month's winner is Other World Computing. Their package for a USB-C hub is made out of a single sheet of cardboard with no glue or plastic inserts. Disassembly was a snap and every bit is recyclable.

IMG_5998.jpeg

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Many Apple collectors want to buy old boxes as they end up being recycled.

You may be able to monetize em if your offer it on eBay or MR.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I live in Thailand, so I'm not sure that's a thing here. We do have a number of old Apple product boxes. For some reason, my wife never wants to disassemble and recycle these. Right now I'm staring at an AirPort Extreme box which actually has an AirPort Extreme in it. Not sure what to do with either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.