Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esabourin

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
honestly,, the red is ugly,, it doesn't fit with apple's image, i like how they brought back the old mini colours,,which were cool, but now with red, it throws it off...they should just stick to the original ipod mini clours,,,except gold (LMAO that was ugly), yea..

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
hmmm, i plan to buy a 8GB nano tomorrow, but cant side between the red and the black! any thoughts? has there been any issues with the black ones?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I think it's safe to say Apple would never stoop that low as to make a brown iPod...but I certainly have been wrong before...

Behold!
Sand.jpg

Actually it's called "sand" but it's pretty close to brown.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I think the red looks quite sharp, actually. I'm really liking mine, and I'm usually pretty girly.

Matches my red RAZR quite nicely. Props to apple to making a more useable, less neon color that's not as somber as black.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Props to apple to making a more useable, less neon color that's not as somber as black.

my issue is that i love the red one, but find the colours of the other nanos to bright, making concentrating on the screen a chore. the black is nice but a little sombre. does the red one glare as much as the others? i haven't seen it in the flesh yet?

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
I was really bummed that the 8gig was only in black when they were first released. When the red nano came out, I loved it right away, but I had convinced myself that 4gig is too small for my collection. Now that they've introduced an 8gig red nano I'm sold! Getting one this week as soon as I can make it to my local Apple store. :D

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
the red isn't very distracting. It's not as "neon" as the other colors. Black is obviously going to be the least intrusive but I actually quite like the way my screen looks with the red.

BBA

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
I like it. I am still debating whether to get the red or the blue one for the holidays.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
The same company that makes the sand color also uses a Mocha color that actually doesn't look bad at all.

dtp

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2004
Cambridge, UK
The fact that Apple released the red 8gb model is what spurred me to replace my old blue iPod mini. The 4gb just wasn't big enough for me, and I didn't want black. This way, I get a colour that I like, and get some of my money donated to charity. Win all round. :D

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Got a Red 4GB when they came out because I like the red and white, the donation to AIDS relief is a bonus but not the deal maker.

What I'm really interested in though, is what did they do to the screen and are they doing it on the full size Pods too. My nano is a couple of weeks old now, with no case and the screen is still scratch free.

When the new nanos came out i was wondering the same thing, but remember the nano's screen is also pretty tiny, and the entire unit no longer has a scratch-prone face to suffer the wrath of keys fingers and abrasive cloth. Larger ipods will probably still need a case, since the more screen area you have the more likely something will hit it, regardless of the rest of the casing around it. Now i wonder how good an ipod's screen would look if it was a matte or at least nearly matte finish like the mac display screen. wouldnt that be a tad more resistant to scratches? with the ipod destined to be larger to be truly video, who knows what apple will do.

Also, IF a touch screen ipod comes into existence, it would probably do better to not have that glossy display.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
My sister just bought an 8gig Red nano today. She didn't like the black one even though she wanted the 8gig. She was just going to get the 4gig in blue until they released the 8gig in Red. It seems Apple is losing a lot of sales on the higher end nano by only have the 8gig in black (and now red).

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
but, of course, apple understands this, and the way these things are priced probably leads to the 4GB having the highest profits for them overall. That's what's going to sell like hotcakes this christmas and apple knew that all along.

Meanwhile, i'm rocking my red 8Gb and having a great time. Wish someone would come up with a silicone case that's not frosted, making it look pink, but alas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.