Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I saw a rumor flying around here that the MacBook Pro was said to be due for a redesign sometime this year or early next year.

I don't know what exterior finishes they could do to make it look any different or better. My only thought 'may' be apple eventually creating a 19" notebook but that would taking the definition "ease of portability" out of the word notebook.

I think if hardware is to change one thing is certain is the Core 2 Duo upgrades. I would love to see the following though.

-Dual Hard Drive options for Raid

-4GB Memory Option

-Firewire 800 in all MacBook Pros

-GeForce Go 7900 512mb GT for the MacBook Pro

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The RAID thing is definitely not going to happen, imo. Hard drives (even smaller laptop sized ones) take up a fair amount of space, and i think Apple would much rather use that exra space for more power and/or a smaller unit. Moreover, I think if Apple cared about RAID the Mac Pro would have a hardware RAID controller.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
1. No 19".
2. No dual drives.
3. Perhaps 4 GB option. Definiantly 3 GB.
4. Yes, FW800 on all.
5. No frickin' way with a 7900GT. They would make it 2 damn inches thick!:eek:

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Woodcrest64 said:
I saw a rumor flying around here that the MacBook Pro was said to be due for a redesign sometime this year or early next year.

I don't know what exterior finishes they could do to make it look any different or better. My only thought 'may' be apple eventually creating a 19" notebook but that would taking the definition "ease of portability" out of the word notebook.

I think if hardware is to change one thing is certain is the Core 2 Duo upgrades. I would love to see the following though.

-Dual Hard Drive options for Raid

-4GB Memory Option

-Firewire 800 in all MacBook Pros

-GeForce Go 7900 512mb GT for the MacBook Pro

newbie...

let me just voice my opinion why i dont think some of them would do just yet

19": my external monitor is 19", but i dont want a laptop that size

dual hard drive option: do you want anything other than harddrive in your computer? harddrive hasn't become that small yet

4GB memory: 2GB chip is ridiculously expensive and economically suicidal

7900: you think the macbook pro isn't hot enough or something?.. also wouldn't that be ridiculously big?

perhaps FW800, i dont see why they aren't in the 15 ones today

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
bearbo said:
newbie...

let me just voice my opinion why i dont think some of them would do just yet

19": my external monitor is 19", but i dont want a laptop that size

dual hard drive option: do you want anything other than harddrive in your computer? harddrive hasn't become that small yet

4GB memory: 2GB chip is ridiculously expensive and economically suicidal

7900: you think the macbook pro isn't hot enough or something?.. also wouldn't that be ridiculously big?

perhaps FW800, i dont see why they aren't in the 15 ones today

I would seriously reconsider how you treat that guy. You in a serious, decreasing tone announce him a newbie. When I reached 6502 status, I as a joke said: "Silence regular, you're speaking to a 14 year old 6502:p ."

That cost me 200 posts and a warning.

You cannot base your needs on whether Apple would make a 19" laptop. Looking at the fact that they now deliver a 24" iMac, the chance has grown, yet I stand by my opinion that it would kill the meaning of the word laptop. Apple in addition just lowered their prices for Cinema Displays.

I think he understood that Apple cannot fit in 2x2.5 HDD's in a 1" thick laptop. Yes, it would be possible to have the same type's of disks as iPod's use. 2x80 GB is an impressive 160 GB, of course not at very fast speeds, yet they would benefit more from a single 160 GB 2.5" HDD. RAID isn't that great, and isn't meant for laptops.

No, they're not ridiculosuly expensive. Apple sells 2 GB DIMM's for the iMac at $600. This means a $1999 15.4" rev. B MBP could be bought for $2899 with 4 GB RAM (subtract the $300 for the stock 1 GB RAM). It is very probable that Apple will offer 4 GB in the MBP.

The MBP's aren't hotter than any other laptop. It's only wussies whining about them burning their laps. Though it speaks against all odds that MBP's will have a 7900GT, the guy can fictionate as he wants to. He hasn't been here for a lot of time, and is probably not into what probable predictions are.

I would generally take it easy if I were you, and edit your post before a mod sees it. I didn't report it.;)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Josias said:
I would seriously reconsider how you treat that guy. You in a serious, decreasing tone announce him a newbie. When I reached 6502 status, I as a joke said: "Silence regular, you're speaking to a 14 year old 6502:p ."

That cost me 200 posts and a warning.

You cannot base your needs on whether Apple would make a 19" laptop. Looking at the fact that they now deliver a 24" iMac, the chance has grown, yet I stand by my opinion that it would kill the meaning of the word laptop. Apple in addition just lowered their prices for Cinema Displays.

I think he understood that Apple cannot fit in 2x2.5 HDD's in a 1" thick laptop. Yes, it would be possible to have the same type's of disks as iPod's use. 2x80 GB is an impressive 160 GB, of course not at very fast speeds, yet they would benefit more from a single 160 GB 2.5" HDD. RAID isn't that great, and isn't meant for laptops.

No, they're not ridiculosuly expensive. Apple sells 2 GB DIMM's for the iMac at $600. This means a $1999 15.4" rev. B MBP could be bought for $2899 with 4 GB RAM (subtract the $300 for the stock 1 GB RAM). It is very probable that Apple will offer 4 GB in the MBP.

The MBP's aren't hotter than any other laptop. It's only wussies whining about them burning their laps. Though it speaks against all odds that MBP's will have a 7900GT, the guy can fictionate as he wants to. He hasn't been here for a lot of time, and is probably not into what probable predictions are.

I would generally take it easy if I were you, and edit your post before a mod sees it. I didn't report it.;)
i understand your concern, and i appreciate it

i did say those are my opinion, and natually, my opinion is based on my need and my speculation

as to the newbie part.. well, i didn't mean to offend the OP, if OP takes offense, i apologize.. and i understand that the next person comes along can tell me that we've all been newbie, and such, i know.

i respect the right for people to " fictionate ", but i just sigh at people who does so without really consider the possibility of it. these kind of "fictionat"ion goes along the same line of "OMG my macbook shipment got delayed to after <date>(e.g. Aug 7th, Sept 12th, Sept 25th), which means they are releasing new product and even tho i ordered the old one, i'm getting a new one!", i'm sorry, but i can't stand it.. again, personal opinion, not to offend anyone in particular

btw, are you threatening me?

mikesk8 said:
-FW800
-S-video
-DL burner (not so important though)
-and 1gb as a standard

..for me
i'd love the FW800 on every laptop, heck, every computer!
S-video.. can't you convert DVI to S-video? i'd guess they dont want to unnecessarily duplicate ports
DL burner.. i heard it's a bit too big for the current 15", and currently only the 17" can house it...
isn't 1gb the standard for mbp now?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
bearbo said:
i understand your concern, and i appreciate it

i did say those are my opinion, and natually, my opinion is based on my need and my speculation

as to the newbie part.. well, i didn't mean to offend the OP, if OP takes offense, i apologize.. and i understand that the next person comes along can tell me that we've all been newbie, and such, i know.

i respect the right for people to " fictionate ", but i just sigh at people who does so without really consider the possibility of it. these kind of "fictionat"ion goes along the same line of "OMG my macbook shipment got delayed to after <date>(e.g. Aug 7th, Sept 12th, Sept 25th), which means they are releasing new product and even tho i ordered the old one, i'm getting a new one!", i'm sorry, but i can't stand it.. again, personal opinion, not to offend anyone in particular

Gangsta answer!;)

Peace from here.

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
bearbo said:
i'd love the FW800 on every laptop, heck, every computer!
S-video.. can't you convert DVI to S-video? i'd guess they dont want to unnecessarily duplicate ports
DL burner.. i heard it's a bit too big for the current 15", and currently only the 17" can house it...
isn't 1gb the standard for mbp now?

S-video...yes, i can:) but i dont want to have another adapter.
1GB...not for the cheapest 15" ..at least not officially

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
mikesk8 said:
S-video...yes, i can:) but i dont want to have another adapter.
but it's unrealistic for apple to put all sorts of ports on there just so everyone's every adapter need is met...
i personally hate to see some of the HP/Compaq laptop with all sorts of memory stick slot, and yeah.. eeww.. they are just, useless

not to be a fanboy, but apple's design with one port that does everythin (provided you have appropriate adaptor) is a much simpler and neat way to do it IMO

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
bearbo said:
but it's unrealistic for apple to put all sorts of ports on there just so everyone's every adapter need is met...
i personally hate to see some of the HP/Compaq laptop with all sorts of memory stick slot, and yeah.. eeww.. they are just, useless

not to be a fanboy, but apple's design with one port that does everythin (provided you have appropriate adaptor) is a much simpler and neat way to do it IMO

Beauty resides in simplicity.

That's a personal mantra I like. Apple likes it too ;)

Keep it simple, I don't want a Mac to be crawling with ports for every piece of hardware/accessory ever created.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
meepm00pmeep said:
Meroms are more energy efficient

Would energy efficiency mean slower speed too? I am curious if the new Meroms will be coming next week, but I am also curious to see if Apple will make any other changes to the line...
Is the efficiency supposed to be a dramatic change?

oh... not sure if I meant Conroe or Woodcrest. I guess I was referring to whichever one the MBP uses...

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Mr.Gadget said:
Would energy efficiency mean slower speed too? I am curious if the new Meroms will be coming next week, but I am also curious to see if Apple will make any other changes to the line...

oh... not sure if I meant Conroe or Woodcrest. I guess I was referring to whichever one the MBP uses...
currently the MBP uses neither conroe nor woodcrest, currently yonah is used.
it could be energy efficient during some testings, but other testing prove otherwise

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
Mr.Gadget said:

i really don't know the technicalities of chip design but i believe it has no effect on the cpu's speed

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
meepm00pmeep said:
i really don't know the technicalities of chip design but i believe it has no effect on the cpu's speed
technology is advanced toward the goal of higher speed with less power comsumption

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
But the current Yonah is still Core 2 Duo right, not just Core Duo? So, even without the new speed bumps or chipset changes, this current MBP will really be just as fast?

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
i hope they release it in piano black :D

Mr.Gadget said:
But the current Yonah is still Core 2 Duo right, not just Core Duo? So, even without the new speed bumps or chipset changes, this current MBP will really be just as fast?

yes, and it's 64-bit

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
meepm00pmeep said:
yes, and it's 64-bit
dude.. if you have no idea what you are talking about, you can shut up now.

no, yonah is not core 2 duo, yonah is core duo, and is 32bit.
but yes, even without the upgrade, the current MBP is blazing fast. if chip is the only difference, then the new one might be on average 8% speed increase, and power consumption has better or worse reports..

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
bearbo said:
but yes, even without the upgrade, the current MBP is blazing fast. if chip is the only difference, then the new one might be on average 8% speed increase, and power consumption has better or worse reports..

Ah.. OK, for whatever reason I kept seeing the Core Duo designation on the Apple website and thinking in my head "Core 2 Duo". Something didn't jive. I just needed the wakeup slap and now it is obvious that the hopeful impending release will bump these to the more competitive Core "2" chips.
Thanks. I do believe it is worth the wait then!

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
bearbo said:
dude.. if you have no idea what you are talking about, you can shut up now.

woops, sorry i meant Merom is Core 2 Duo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.