Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Because Apple and Google are at war for your preference in many things, including maps. It's relevant. It's on topic.

I can relate to the sentiment but my point here is that we should let people do what they do on a Mac/Apple forum: talk about Apple/macs. Anything else and the expectations are foolish.

...... All while Apple and Google are probably skipping down the street hand in hand laughing at us on their way to the bank.

mistergsf

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
Apple maps has something Google does not... it makes you laugh. 40% of the times the address is wrong, it takes me to the wrong place or will not find nor interpret the address right. It is very tricky/ risky.

40% is a lot. Care to provide some examples?

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Yay for iPad support!
I'm also excited for the airport info. It's always nice to know if you need to hit the deli in this terminal, or wait for one closer to your gate.
I do wish the bookmarks feature (now "saved places") was as easy to access as before Apple kicked them out.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'm pretty sure user skika got called out because this thread really has nothing to do with Apple maps at all. I don't know why people just can't comment on the new Google map features (which this thread is actually about) without always having to turn into an Apple vs Google thread. At least I think that was his premise but I could be wrong.

This thread is about Google maps running on Apple devices, which is relevant news because Google Maps is no longer the default mapping service on Apple devices because Apple decided to replace Google Maps with Apple maps. It's perfectly reasonable to talk about them together.

----------

Most desired feature: Clicking the "directions" button in Safari opens the route in Apple Maps...

I'd add the same for "location" in iCal. At least we know that feature is coming

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
in my country- Lithuania, google maps is way better, more accurate addresses, however i prefer apple maps for smoother user expierence and more friendly UI.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
...... All while Apple and Google are probably skipping down the street hand in hand laughing at us on their way to the bank.

How dare we be passionate about products/solutions/innovation.

I'm starting to think you guys woke up in a MacRumors forum and didn't actually type the URL knowingly.

----------

This thread is about Google maps running on Apple devices, which is relevant news because Google Maps is no longer the default mapping service on Apple devices because Apple decided to replace Google Maps with Apple maps. It's perfectly reasonable to talk about them together.

----------

Thank you! If I wanted product news un-colored by Mac talk I would visit the thousands of other tech-news sources that are not specific in serving to Mac culture. In fact I do visit those other sites. But I specifically visit this one forum called MacRumors to read news and discussion in the context of the Apple ecosystem.

Unfortunately, many here are confused by what this forum is about and do not share in my value.

sabrex

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Google Maps 2.0 also supports offline maps on iOS

Article didn't mention it, but the new version also supports offline maps. Just zoom to the map area you'd like cached, type "Ok maps" in the search bar and press search button. It'll cache the visible portion of the map. The mall/airport indoor maps, and the fact that it offers turn-by-turn voice directions on iPhone 4 (which Apple Maps doesn't) make this a winner at least on the iPhone 4 ... iPhone 4S and above, there are certain aspects of Apple Maps that are superior (the 3D rendered buildings and iOS integration being two)

kenkamm

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Why does this still not integrate with contacts? Am I missing something? Quite annoying.

airplaneb777

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Apple maps has something Google does not... it makes you laugh. 40% of the times the address is wrong, it takes me to the wrong place or will not find nor interpret the address right. It is very tricky/ risky.

I used Google Maps to get to Washington DC last we and it only sent me the wrong way three times. Apple Maps took back to Ohio with no problems.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I prefer the Google maps because the traffic is easier to see when zoomed out...the Apple maps use a red dotted line, which is not as easy to see. Other than that, they are both decent maps. I check the two routes home before I leave the office and having the traffic visible makes all the difference in the world...

This was the one thing I found indispensable on my android phone. In the very week I made the decision to move to an iPhone even with this limitation, Google updates the program. Thank you Google! :)

Thescoot

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
So nice to get updates more than once a year

Takes Apple a year to update their apps and they only have small incremental changes. Google just cranks out big new features all year long. Slowly Google will take over the iPhone.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Apple probably won't let Google have access to the necessary API.
Won't let Google access the Address Book API they let everyone else access?

Isn't it more likely that Google is trying to push everyone to use Google's contacts?

----------

Takes Apple a year to update their apps and they only have small incremental changes. Google just cranks out big new features all year long. Slowly Google will take over the iPhone.
Apple Maps was released a year and a month ago, and Google just released iPad support for their map now. It took a year to update their app.

Mossdaddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Google still can't find me!

Downloaded the new app. GPS placed me within a 100 yards of my home (well, actually in the middle of the lake), but it still doesn't know the name of my street. Perhaps it is because the street has only been here 15 years. In addition, the map doesn't match the satellite view.

Amazingly, Bing, Garmin and Tom Tom do not have any problem locating me. Apple doesn't have a problem finding me either.

Sent the info to google, but I suspect they are more interested in mapping the ocean floor and North Korea than rural America.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Won't let Google access the Address Book API they let everyone else access?

Isn't it more likely that Google is trying to push everyone to use Google's contacts?

Access to the address book database from third party apps are limited in what they can do to the address book.
Third party apps cannot write custom identifiers or create custom fields in the address book.
In order for the Google Maps to create a "pin" location for user in the contacts app, it needs to have the ability to create new field with the pin data.

And I agree... I'm sure Google would love to have everyone use Google contacts.
I suspect the issue here is more of Apple not wanting Google, or anyone else for that matter, getting in to the Core services frameworks in iOS.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Google Maps 2.0 for iOS includes both live traffic updates and incident reports that offer details on current traffic conditions. Unlike the Android version of the app, it does not include on-the-fly rerouting, but Google has said that it plans to add the feature in the future. The new version of Maps also offers indoor directions and maps for malls, airports, transit stations, and more.

What? No on-the-fly re-routing? That gives it very limited usefulness for driving directions.

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I prefer Apple maps.

It's kinda creepy to see how much this comment was upvoted. Some people still think everything Apple does is superior which in this case its clearly not.
Similar to how people first criticized lightning-cables and now even defend it's prices...kinda like listening to creationists.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It's kinda creepy to see how much this comment was upvoted. Some people still think everything Apple does is superior which in this case its clearly not.
Similar to how people first criticized lightning-cables and now even defend it's prices...kinda like listening to creationists.
15,793 people have viewed this thread.
47 upvoted the first post which said "I prefer Apple Maps".

By what definition of creepy does 0.3% of MacRumors thread viewers preferring Apple Maps qualify?

What I find creepy is that there are people out there who are so incapable of thinking that even a small minority gathered at a place with a well stated selection bias might see the world differently than they do, and lack the analytical power to put their personal perspective in context... kinda like listening to creationists at a molecular biology conference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.