Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Do you really think if you go in with an attitude like you have in this post anyone would want to help you? Come on. Those people deal with people going nuts all day and you just add to it. Maybe if you didn't come across as a hothead they would be willing to maybe work something else out. :rolleyes:

This is my 3rd Intel Apple Laptop and I have had 0 issues with the adapters. Futhermore, I had 8 Powerbooks that came with the brick, ranging from the TiBooks to a few Aluminums, and the only issues I had were when I walked by and took them for a ride, no wonder the end didn't last on the adapters that I damaged. At what point is it your fault? Do you expect to be able to miuse or abuse them and walk in only to have them replaced? Be reasonable with people and they will be reasonable with you I guess. I bought 2 adapters in that time, both due to me walking by a few times and taking the cord with me, ah well, poop happens and that's that.

That's not to say there are never any issues that just arise not from abuse, but alot of what I hear is people complaining they aren't built well enough, or to withstand this and that. It should withstand being plugged and unplugged, not someone running by that keeps tripping over them and then expects them to last under those circumstances forever. The MagSafe is used to help minimize any damage, not remove it all together. Would you rather your notebook hit the ground or pay 80 bucks for a new adapter after the 5th time you didn't learn your lesson and kept falling over it?

Geez........

It really angers me when I read stories about Apple stores being so stubborn about a problem that's clearly widespread -- I mean, anyone who reads any of these Mac-news type sites knows about them at least, which means surely Apple knows about them. They track all the trouble tickets they get I'm sure. Yet, they'll vehemently deny the existance of a problem until an official recall is posted. I mean, I don't expect them to advertise that there's a problem without a recall, but you'd think they wouldn't be dicks about fixing something that's clearly their problem.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I don't have an attitude, I'm not a hothead, and I've never given anyone at Apple any attitude. All I simply said was that it bothers me that Apple would stubbornly tell someone "no, it's your fault" when it's clearly not. I realize a lot of people abuse their computers and computer warranties and try to take advantage of Apple, but when there's a widespread problem that needs to be fixed, Apple shouldn't be so quick to automatically blame the customer.

Do you really think if you go in with an attitude like you have in this post anyone would want to help you? Come on. Those people deal with people going nuts all day and you just add to it. Maybe if you didn't come across as a hothead they would be willing to maybe work something else out. :rolleyes:

This is my 3rd Intel Apple Laptop and I have had 0 issues with the adapters. Futhermore, I had 8 Powerbooks that came with the brick, ranging from the TiBooks to a few Aluminums, and the only issues I had were when I walked by and took them for a ride, no wonder the end didn't last on the adapters that I damaged. At what point is it your fault? Do you expect to be able to miuse or abuse them and walk in only to have them replaced? Be reasonable with people and they will be reasonable with you I guess. I bought 2 adapters in that time, both due to me walking by a few times and taking the cord with me, ah well, poop happens and that's that.

That's not to say there are never any issues that just arise not from abuse, but alot of what I hear is people complaining they aren't built well enough, or to withstand this and that. It should withstand being plugged and unplugged, not someone running by that keeps tripping over them and then expects them to last under those circumstances forever. The MagSafe is used to help minimize any damage, not remove it all together. Would you rather your notebook hit the ground or pay 80 bucks for a new adapter after the 5th time you didn't learn your lesson and kept falling over it?

Geez........

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Well, this is bad news for me. I had my laptop adapter stolen from a computer lab. Called my local apple store and they said they have no idea when they'll be in. I'm totally screwed.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Well, this is bad news for me. I had my laptop adapter stolen from a computer lab. Called my local apple store and they said they have no idea when they'll be in. I'm totally screwed.

Who knows if it'll actually happen, but my online order says "ships by 10/23." Good luck!

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Who knows if it'll actually happen, but my online order says "ships by 10/23." Good luck!

Hey all -- just thought I'd let you know that I just received a shipment notice for the backordered adapter. I wonder if anything will be different? I really hope they're improved, and that Apple does a recall for some of these poor people having issues. I realize that not too many people would probably bother reviewing a power adapter unless they had something negative to say, but...damn...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    124 KB · Views: 159

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
This is one thing that Apple is not good at. I complained about my PB G4 adapters. (I have 3, each one is burnt and melted and one sparks) I know have to go to the store for them to look at it because what I said over the phone wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: It's ridiculous.

Thankfully, i've never had issues with my powerbook adapters.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
The delay in the delivery of the power bricks could mean a couple of things:

- They are stocking up to ship with all New Macbooks (more powerful 85W?)

- They are stocking up to ship with remodelled Macbook Pro ( I wish :eek:)

- They are planning a recall ( wich would be the right thing to do)

- Theres a shortage of parts supply and simply facing loads of backorders.

or...
it could mean that they are releasing a new macbook ;)
am i being too optimistic? :D

Well, speaking as the friend of a former MacBook owner who had his fried when a local tech plugged in the higher-powered adapter instead of the correct one, I'm struck by the thought that I don't really understand why Apple has taken a "two different adapters" strategy in the first place.

(Up to this point, even I didn't realize the two classes of laptop were differentiated in this way. Hey, I'm just an ignorant PowerBook owner...)

While it's true that I like the break-away disconnect feature of the mag connector, I'm struck at times like these -- and the discussion on this thread -- that maybe Apple sometimes designs stuff just for the sake of designing stuff. Maybe they're just trying to keep their engineers busy or something.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
While it's true that I like the break-away disconnect feature of the mag connector, I'm struck at times like these -- and the discussion on this thread -- that maybe Apple sometimes designs stuff just for the sake of designing stuff. Maybe they're just trying to keep their engineers busy or something.

I agree. When I first heard about the MagSafe I thought it was a really cool idea, but honestly now it just annoys me. I can't tell you how often I'm sitting on my couch, and I shift around in my seat a little bit and it makes the cord come unplugged from the slightest tug. They sometimes put design over functionality a little too often.

MrGouda

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
I also like apple design, and think their power adapters are way nicer to pack and use than anyone else's. But they are also demonstrably unreliable. And its not people abusing them. If anything, apple users seem to be more ginger with their pretty, pretty machines.

Until recently (and for years) I worked at a Fortune 50 telecom. Our team had several dozen macs. Of course, we also had like 100 dells and toshibas. Never once saw a bad PC power adapter. Clunky, ugly, hot, etc. but never broken or frayed. The apples? Bad, approaching 100% if you give them time.

The wallstreet and bronze had an adapter recall for fraying and pulling. All of ours went bad and got replaced.

The saucers did seem to work.

The boxy ones starting with the Ti-books were prone to pulling out of the body, or just popping and dying. My favorite was on a weekend, on a trip overseas. It took 4 months to work out the expense report for buying a replacement from a local electronics store. After three died on me alone, in 6 months, I went to a MacAlly one instead. It worked till I left.

The MBPs we had were, when I left, at about a 50% failure rate, at 3 months average age. Popping and dying, or pulling or fraying. So not even one problem, but everything that can go wrong. Our admin was just buying extras so we could replace immediately, and desperately unhappy that no aftermarket ones were available due to the magsafe patent thing.

Hell, a Cube we had (for the VP) had a PS that just went to hell and had to be replaced.

As an example of how lame the design is, has anyone noticed the current cordwrap tabs are the same size as on the Ti- and Al-books, but the cord diameter is bigger? So now it doesn't really fit, and comes off in transport. Apple seems to put their C-team on this work, and its time to get someone competent.

I agree Apple should allow third parties to make a more durable mag safe plug. I mean, if they won't spend the time or resources to properly redesign the power adapter, I'm pretty sure there are others willing to do it (and probably cost less than than Apple's adapter). I would welcome extra choices from different vendors, instead of just being at the mercy of Apple.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I was shocked when I heard people complain about the Magsafe...I'm so clumsy my Macbook would be cracked in half without it. Thats definitely worth a few annoying pull-outs...

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
i havent had any problems with my 85w magsafe power, biggest problems though now

1- NONE available. anywhere. Not in apple stores, not in best buy, comp usa. etc. (these things can break, die on you after even consumer misuse, ie i broke the wire on mine and need a replacement, but can't find it anywhere.)

2- allow third party manufacturers. that apple does not allow anyone else to manufacture is horrible. apple does not supply everywhere and at this point apple's supply chain on power adapters is a joke.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
This is really frustrating for me ... my 85 W power adapter frayed at the base to the power block.

i need a replacement.... it's essential for me. and there are none to be had. literally.

If apple is having problems with their own units. Please for the love of god license magsafe tech to Kensington and other power adapter manufacturers who are mac friendly.

Let others make Macbook and Macbook Pro power adapters already.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I just received my new adapter, and there doesn't seem to be anything different about it...at least nothing obvious. Works okay so far.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was also thinking why some people have these bad experiences while others, like myself, have no problem (so far, after almost a year, 2 MBP's). My impression is that the adapter is ok with relatively careful use, but is not well enough designed to withstand occasional 'misuse'. Which leads me to 2 conclusions:
(1) I have to be more careful than average with my present Magsafe adapter (2) it seems better to get a redesigned one, if that design eliminates the current weak spots. This expense seems worth the potential risk, although it would be nice if Apple gives at least a discount for present MBP owners.
Same here. Year old and no problems with careful use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.