Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Wikipedia yesterday released a major update to its iOS app, offering an all-new interface and several new features designed to enhance content discovery.

Wikipedia Mobile 5.0 brings several optimizations to devices running iOS 9, featuring Spotlight Search integration, Handoff support, and 3D Touch enhancements for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6 Plus users.

Screen-Shot-2016-03-11-at-09.15.00-800x452.jpg

Previous updates to the app added features like offline access and mobile editing, but with the latest version Wikipedia has changed tack by aiming to make navigation simpler and developing an interface that's more focused on personalization and tailored content.

The Explore feed now populates based on previous interests, local surroundings, and featured articles and images, with support for navigating using a wider range of multi-touch gestures.

3D Touch support has also been extended to the Wikipedia icon, with Quick Actions like "Random article" and "Nearby articles" accessible from the home screen.

Wikipedia Mobile for iPhone and iPad is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Redesigned 'Wikipedia' iOS App Brings 3D Touch, Handoff Support

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Great but it would be better to redesign their site instead, especially on the desktop.
Wikipedia's design is too noisy/cluttered.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
There's also a nice new Wikipedia app called Viki. I bought it a couple of days ago (only 79p) and it's very nicely designed with some thoughtful features. The article map with ribbons is particularly nice.
Worth checking out - I think Apple have featured it as 'Editor's Choice' in the App Store at the moment.

Reactions: Futurix

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
There is an app for Wikipedia? Why should I use it instead of the website?
Nobody is saying you should. It's personal preference. Try it out, see for yourself if you like it better than using the website. One advantage the app offers that the website doesn't is the ability to locally save articles to read later. Whether or not that's important to you, well, that's up to you.

Reactions: orbital~debris

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
There is an app for Wikipedia? Why should I use it instead of the website?
See it as a way to deal with too many open tabs in Safari (particularly on the iPhone) and a quicker way to get to Wikipedia. With Safari, one would start with:
  1. Tap the Safari icon, then
  2. Tap the tabs icon (possibly first activate the bottom bar), then
  3. Tap the + icon, then
  4. Tap the Wikipedia favourite icon (if one has Wikipedia as one of the first 20 favourite icons)
With a separate Wikipedia app this reduces to one step:
  1. Tap the Wikipedia icon

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There's nothing wrong with the website. The benefit of using a client for me is having the list of things I've looked at in the past that is more visual (and lets me save stuff for later so I don't have to pile it with other stuff in my Reading List). That might not be valuable for someone that doesn't use Wikipedia constantly though.

Saying that, I've played with it for 30 minutes now and don't like it in comparison to Curiosity/Inquire (Heard about Viki, but too late now). They waste a lot of space with the cropped images, and most of the pages they're recommending to me aren't relevant at all. IMO, the Saved tab would be better if it was more like the History one too. But that's why we have choice.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.