Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard Cranium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Hello,

Just got my new MBP and i used the migration assistant to move everything over. I have now realized that the old computer was a bit of a mess and I would rather just start from fresh on the new one. I have tried to use the install disc but theres no option to erase everything - that i can find. I have done this already but it just reinstalls the OS and leaves everything else the way it was. I have tried my tiger disc's but they are presumably only PPC. How can I get this new computer back to square one?

This time it will stay organized.

with thanks

rc

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hello,

Just got my new MBP and i used the migration assistant to move everything over. I have now realized that the old computer was a bit of a mess and I would rather just start from fresh on the new one. I have tried to use the install disc but theres no option to erase everything - that i can find. I have done this already but it just reinstalls the OS and leaves everything else the way it was. I have tried my tiger disc's but they are presumably only PPC. How can I get this new computer back to square one?

This time it will stay organized.

with thanks

rc

Insert the install CD and choose 'Erase and Install'

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
the instal discs which came with the computer will work. Put disc 1 in, restart holding the C key, and look in the menu bar for Disk Utility. From there, select your HDD, click the Erase button, format it to Mac OS Extended - Journaled, and erase.
You don't need to worr about security options; if you were selling it you might want to run the 7- or 35- pass erase, but if you are just reformatting, its a waste of time. Zeroing the disc will suffice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.