Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
And I just happened to get approved for a 0% APR Mastercard...

SERENDIPITY YO

Or "shut up and take some bank's money" :D

Kristianmaar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Copenhagen
Wish the minis would get updated

They should completely revamp the hardware design since there's no optical drive anymore. Mini Mac Pro design maybe :p
It really doesn't make sense that it is still shaped around the dimensions of a piece of hardware that's been removed for good.

BBCWatcher

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Maine
Apple will probably delete the remaining optical drives in their MacBook Pro lineup. I have mixed feelings about that, but I guess that's the future.

I'm a bit surprised Apple hasn't already upped the 13" MacBook Pro's display to 1440x900 to match the 13" MacBook Air. That would at least help Apple reduce the variety of parts they have to procure. Maybe this time around the entry 13" MacBook Pro will sport a 1440x900 display, or maybe Apple yanks the non-retina MacBook Pros completely.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Apple will probably delete the remaining optical drives in their MacBook Pro lineup. I have mixed feelings about that, but I guess that's the future.

I hope so. I'd rather have a smaller laptop.

I had mixed feelings too, but I'm over that. If I'm doing something like copying CDs or DVDs, I'll do that at home. I'm so used to never watching a physical DVD, but instead handbraking it and watching it on the hard drive. A lot more convenient.

And who installs software from a CD or DVD anymore? It's all downloaded over the internet now.

Really, the benefits of a smaller and lighter laptop far outweigh the convenience of having a CD drive on the occasion you need it. You can always pack an external CD drive in your backpack if you feel you need it, and the weight and size of it is not much larger than putting it into the laptop.

Hoko222

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
you cannot "update a prediction"

"KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo originally predicted new MacBook Pros with Haswell processors at WWDC back in June, but later updated his prediction to suggest a mid-September release for the refreshed MacBook Pros."

SO if I say the world will end new years 2014 and then as it gets close and im funning out of time to sell more books or whatever, I say I am updating my prediction till Spring of 2016. This Ming-Chi is simply just silly, or perhaps it is silly how many people actually listen to him.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I'll miss the optical drive mainly for when I go to 2nd hand music stores - most of my music I get off the iTunes store, but I still like to rip actual CDs on occasion. Guess I'll have to get a separate drive.

Anybody remember how much people freaked out when the first iMac came out without a floppy disk drive? It's important to remember how Apple has always been quick to drop old technologies and force people to adapt.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've had my money ready for 3 years now. I'll be on vacation with my old Macbook once again.

I could swear by the majority of your posts prior to early 2013 you loathed Apple Mac's just because?!?? Guess you're back to loving Mac's again :D

----------

And I just happened to get approved for a 0% APR Mastercard...

SERENDIPITY YO

Or "shut up and take some bank's money" :D

^ you rat-bastard you ... arrrrgh, noooOOOooooo.

j/k and enjoy that beast when you get it home.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I want a discrete GPU, nVidia if possible so I can keep using CUDA… :(

The idea of a small SSD and no discrete GPU will eventually push me out of Macbooks to buy, it will be a sad day to go back to Windows machines. :\ I know people will say "but intel graphics are as good as last year's nvidia/amd offers!", but I don't want to pay 2000 dollars for a machine that's not as fast gpu-wise as Razor's $1800 new laptop (which is an awesome machine, minus the lame screen).

You may want to see if the apps you use transition to OpenCl because Haswell does very well with that.

ipmasta

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Is anyone else like me?

I still have my late 2011 17" macbook pro which I have put 16gb of ram in it, pulled the dvd drive out and replaced with an optibay adapter with a 120gb ssd. Combined with a 750gb internal and configured with a fusion drive setup. Bought a $20 expresscard that adds 2 usb 3.0 ports. Usually I keep my computers for a couple years....sell and then upgrade however I am torn that if I upgrade to a macbook pro retina not only am I going to drop for 17" to 15" which I could deal with - but going to have to pay a hell of a lot more money and have to pay apples premium to get 16gb of ram stock since it is soldered in! Also if the ram goes bad then you would have to have applecare otherwise you will have to pay a rediculous amount to get that repaired. Also if you wanted to keep one of these longer than the 3 year applecare warranty you still cannot fix it yourself given how much of a pain in the ass it is to fix anything on. Even so I was not too concerned with getting a retina display mbp however from what I could tell you could only get a non retina with the lesser graphics card and also only max it out at 8gb of ram! Its like they are trying to force people to buy a retina display model. If I were to get a 15" model comparable with ram and hard drive storage plus apple care it would push the cost over $3000. This is unacceptable to me and I have not minded paying a premium for an apple product in the past but in this case I have to pay so much more to get what I want and even then the upgrades are not as flexible and the cost is around $500 more than what I paid for my 17" mbp. Of course I could go without applecare but then I could end up with a 15" laptop that turns into a brick when a piece of hardware goes wrong.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
rMBP 13" with PCIe ssd ! ! !

rMBP 13" with PCIe ssd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macberk

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
The waiting game...

Just picked up a rMBP (15 inch, 512gb sad 16gb ram) a few days ago and I am seriously considering returning it and waiting. The battery life and heat on this thing is quite a nuisance for me. :( I hate this whole waiting game. Will the integrated haswell based gpu in the refresh really out perform the 650? Any word on if the new version will house pcie?

heutusops

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2013
refreshed? i thought(the rumors) this was going to be a big update, i thought(the rumors) it was going to be completely redesigned, :( i'm disappointed.

ijbond

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
I'm considering buying a NAS myself. Exactly what brand/model is yours? And is it super-silent?

Four years ago I started with one and later two NAS and felt unhappy all the time. The user interface is absolutely horror, even with Linux knowledge. You loose a lot of time searching for solutions doing just simple tasks.

Second reason: performance. All NAS claim gigabit ethernet ports, but the CPUs are extremly much too slow to reach gigabit speed copying files. No fun at all. :mad:

My new solution: I bought a Mac Mini without screen and without keyboard. Speed is now gigantic, user interface is OS-X, hardware is very quiet. Controlling of Mini by using screen sharing. :)

locoroco

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
I think I will wait to see if the non-retina 13" will get an update. if not, i will get the 13" Air

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
I still have my late 2011 17" macbook pro which I have put 16gb of ram in it, pulled the dvd drive out and replaced with an optibay adapter with a 120gb ssd. Combined with a 750gb internal and configured with a fusion drive setup. Bought a $20 expresscard that adds 2 usb 3.0 ports. Usually I keep my computers for a couple years....sell and then upgrade however I am torn that if I upgrade to a macbook pro retina not only am I going to drop for 17" to 15" which I could deal with - but going to have to pay a hell of a lot more money and have to pay apples premium to get 16gb of ram stock since it is soldered in! Also if the ram goes bad then you would have to have applecare otherwise you will have to pay a rediculous amount to get that repaired. Also if you wanted to keep one of these longer than the 3 year applecare warranty you still cannot fix it yourself given how much of a pain in the ass it is to fix anything on. Even so I was not too concerned with getting a retina display mbp however from what I could tell you could only get a non retina with the lesser graphics card and also only max it out at 8gb of ram! Its like they are trying to force people to buy a retina display model. If I were to get a 15" model comparable with ram and hard drive storage plus apple care it would push the cost over $3000. This is unacceptable to me and I have not minded paying a premium for an apple product in the past but in this case I have to pay so much more to get what I want and even then the upgrades are not as flexible and the cost is around $500 more than what I paid for my 17" mbp. Of course I could go without applecare but then I could end up with a 15" laptop that turns into a brick when a piece of hardware goes wrong.

I hear you. And I'm still seriously considering replacing my stolen 2010 17" with a used late-2011 17", precisely because it's comparatively cheap/easy to upgrade and all of my peripherals are optimized for it, connectivity-wise.

That said, the 16GB RAM upgrade kit at OWC is $170. Upgrading from stock 8GB to 16GB on a MBPr is $200 through the Apple Store. Not a huge difference. And 16GB feels future-proof enough to see me through another 4-5 years, I reckon. (I do agree that not having the option to upgrade RAM later is disappointing, to put it mildly.) The SSD you can upgrade yourself when prices come down in a year or two.

More importantly though, I can't deny that the retina screens are REALLY STINKIN' NICE, even compared to the awesome matte screen on my old 17" MPB Cadillac. I am increasingly beginning to feel as though the retina screen is worth whatever inherent compromises come along with the MBPr.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Four years ago I started with one and later two NAS and felt unhappy all the time. The user interface is absolutely horror, even with Linux knowledge. You loose a lot of time searching for solutions doing just simple tasks.

Second reason: performance. All NAS claim gigabit ethernet ports, but the CPUs are extremly much too slow to reach gigabit speed copying files. No fun at all. :mad:

My new solution: I bought a Mac Mini without screen and without keyboard. Speed is now gigantic, user interface is OS-X, hardware is very quiet. Controlling of Mini by using screen sharing. :)

Cool. The Mac Mini is the other solution I consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.