Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Actually, students and members of the military and employees of the federal government (US) do get Applecare at a discounted price when buying refurb gear and occasionally (like this past Christmas) the Military/Federal refurb site had additional discounts on select models, (one MBP model was $300 less than the same refurb offered on the main and EDU refurb sites).

It pays to look around for every possible deal right before you buy.

Cheers,

Are the deals offered by Apple out of goodwill for our armed forces or are they provided by the DoD?

On one hand it makes little sense to spread goodwill by making your people buy from used refurbished junk... but I'm really quite curious who exactly funded that last promo.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Are the deals offered by Apple out of goodwill for our armed forces or are they provided by the DoD?

On one hand it makes little sense to spread goodwill by making your people buy from used refurbished junk... but I'm really quite curious who exactly funded that last promo.

All discounts available on Apple's various stores are offered by Apple. No other entity or organization subsidizes the costs quoted.

Also, I dare say it is a bit harsh to refer to Apple's refurb gear as "junk". In most cases, as demonstrated here and on other boards, buyers are quite pleased with their purchase. In many cases the dicsounts offered on refurb systems represent the only (or best) opportunity for an individual to own a piece of Apple goodness.

Cheers,

andyadler

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Louisville, Ky USA
I just (OK, two days ago) took possession of a refurbed C2D 15.4 2.33ghz MBP. There was a small smudge on the screen, which should be easily wiped off and is not an issue. The display is crisp and clear -- no "grain" complaints as far as I'm concerned. Considering that I saved around $500 from the "new" price, I couldn't be more pleased. My first Mac, and it's a pleasure.

best from Louisville, KY...aa.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I just (OK, two days ago) took possession of a refurbed C2D 15.4 2.33ghz MBP. There was a small smudge on the screen, which should be easily wiped off and is not an issue. The display is crisp and clear -- no "grain" complaints as far as I'm concerned. Considering that I saved around $500 from the "new" price, I couldn't be more pleased. My first Mac, and it's a pleasure.

best from Louisville, KY...aa.

Did you opt for the glossy or matte screen?

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I came across this today. Sites like this make me nervous. Especially where it is a new version and it has a big discount (something apple products dont have). I am mostly just looking right now because I wont need one until atleast 1 1/2 years.

http://stores.speedcoast.com/Detail.bok?no=185

any thoughts on this website. Has anyone had experiences with prices being low on a product and then its not what it says?

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
I just got my c2d macbook. It is in perfect condition and much thinner than I had thought that it was going to be. The only thing I dont like is that the mouse button on the trackpad is very sensitive. but besides that it is good.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I just got my c2d macbook. It is in perfect condition and much thinner than I had thought that it was going to be. The only thing I dont like is that the mouse button on the trackpad is very sensitive. but besides that it is good.

Are you still looking to trade it for a MBP?

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana

Congrats! Yea, the mousepad is tad oversensitive - however, you can adjust it to some extent. If not aware, go to Apple - System Preferences - Keyboard & Mouse [2nd row] - Trackpad [2nd tab]. Funny on mine seems that I don't even have to have finger on it and it senses it! ;)

andyadler

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Louisville, Ky USA
Phungy: The only display option when I checked the refurb MBP page last week was matte -- which is fine with me, because I don't care for glossy screens (I'm a photographer and prefer the color balance, etc. with a matte display. Also, the glare often distracts me.)

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
When they update with refurbs

Last week I noticed a pattern (perhaps just for that week I don't know). I stayed up late working on a project, and I was also in the market for a refurb macbook pro so I checked the refurb site fairly frequently.

Anyway, pretty much around 3am EST every day (or every other, i forget)during the week they put up new refurbs. When I checked back around noon a few hours later they were all sold out. Perhaps want to get up early if you're in the market for a refurb.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Yes, I noticed that too when I was in market back in November for refurbs - they would be updated around midnite and then gone by 9-11 am that day. Funny, I had actually called for my iMac, and w/in 20 minutes the one that had been listed was then gone, and experienced the same thing the next day, but the sales guy that 2nd day was able to acquire one for me. :cool:

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
All discounts available on Apple's various stores are offered by Apple. No other entity or organization subsidizes the costs quoted.

Also, I dare say it is a bit harsh to refer to Apple's refurb gear as "junk". In most cases, as demonstrated here and on other boards, buyers are quite pleased with their purchase. In many cases the dicsounts offered on refurb systems represent the only (or best) opportunity for an individual to own a piece of Apple goodness.

Cheers,

Ok I didn't really mean to say they are junk as in junk.

It is just funny how stuff discounted out of goodwill just happen to be stuff that someone else didn't want :)

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
i used to check the refurb store everyday at 2am haha because it would constantly getting updated. searchin until i found the model closest to what i wanted and then scored it... couldnt be happier a week later, we'll see how things go down the road but im optimistic. very satisfied with my c2d blackbook and would def go refurb again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.