Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
My specs are below for the cpu I bought....

They sent me a quality machine with an extra 1.5 G ram (2G total) and the upgraded video card. I was kinda distraught that they didn't hook me up with the 500 GB HD, but I think that might be asking for a little much. :)

I was/am very satisfied with it.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
What's good for refurb buyers is that sometimes BTO machines arrive DOA
because someone forgot to hook up a connector properly during the upgrade
or it came loose in shipping.
While it sucks for the guy that ordered it, refurb buyers benefit.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I have the two best refurb stories ever. When my MBP was getting to hot i started looking for a PowerBook to buy and i hit the refurb store i found the last revision for £800 and when it came OMG it was absolutely beautiful. No scratches/marks/scuff it was in pristine condition and you could not tell the difference from a new one only the serial and box differed. It also came with a juicy 100GB 7200RPM HDD silent upgrade all i did was max out the RAM had the best G4 around. I bought it back in march and i have yet to have one issue with it. I only sleep it and hardly shut down so it tends to be on for 10-25 days in a row with no issue at all.

Second story was a BlackBook for my brother. Again it came in pristine condition and its own silent upgrades were a 120GB HDD & 2GB RAM i.e FULLY maxed out at no extra cost. I was in heaven....well my brother is. It also had no whine, no moo and ran cooler than my MBP did but this machine was for my brother so i had to hand it over.

I cant sing enough praises about refurbs they are just amazing. Get one NOW!

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I bought my eMac refurbed a couple of years ago, and I'm using it now to type this. :) It's been great, although there were a couple of scuff marks on the case when I got it, they're VERY difficult to see. I'm not sure anyone but me would notice them. I'd definitely buy refurbed again.

Voltes V

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
refurbished yet it looks and feel like a brand spanking new machine, i see no difference at all, except the brown box it came with the says, "Apple Certified Product"

i mean seriously, its all mint.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Like other buyers, I have had no problems at all with refurbished products. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a bargain.

I think it would be naive to assume that every item sold through the refurb. store is actually second hand - right now, the UK store has every flavour of iPod up for sale, along with all Intel Minis, all iMacs, all MPBs, some MBs...it is their secret dumping ground for old stock and a good indicator of upcoming upgrades.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I got my 20" iMac as a refurb, and it was like new. They only I regretted over getting a new one was that I didn't get to upgrade the VRAM.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Allotriophagy said:
I think it would be naive to assume that every item sold through the refurb. store is actually second hand - right now, the UK store has every flavour of iPod up for sale, along with all Intel Minis, all iMacs, all MPBs, some MBs...it is their secret dumping ground for old stock and a good indicator of upcoming upgrades.
I totally agree.

I have ordered many iPods and things on the refurb store before and always perfect but i have never had a silent upgrade so here is to hoping that my brand new MB will have one.

Alexsaru

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Sapporo, Japan
I bought a Rev. A Macbook Pro and it came to me asthetically perfect in an original box and everything. It was identical to getting a new one. The battery was new too (although it has since been replaced in one of the battery recall programs), and there were absolutely no scratches.

BUT, it had the CPU whine thing going on. Not badly, but I had hoped to avoid it by getting a refurb. No moo though. And the heat is reasonable. The whine was easily fixed with the ShhMBP kernal extension and battery life still seems just fine after that fix.

I'm feeling pretty envious of all those people that got free silent upgrades though!

I never felt that the MBP was such great value (for me, I'm sure it's fantastic value at the original price for some), but my refurb cost me about 25% less, so it tipped the balance in favour of the MBP over the MB for me. Conclusion, refurbs are thoroughly recommended!

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Brandon Sharitt said:
I got my 20" iMac as a refurb, and it was like new. They only I regretted over getting a new one was that I didn't get to upgrade the VRAM.

Annoyingly, the UK refurb. store gives a 26% discount on the old price of the 20" iMac and not the new lower (about £100) price, so it makes more sense to use the education discount if you can and get ghetto Applecare as well as the opportunity to add BTO options.

Apple2Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
In my experience referbs are great machines, I've never had a technical problem with one and they still qualify for apple care. they are usually just open boxes that apple can't legally resell as new, so they go referb.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've bought a 3rd gen 20GB iPod and a Power Mac G5 dual 2.0 from the UK refurb Store and would recommend them to anyone. They were both in as new condition. A couple of friends have gone for them after my positive experience and they have also had faultless products.

Unfortunately, no silent upgrades came our way :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.